The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Steeping grains and extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2008, 02:51 PM   #1
karbinator
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Steeping grains and extract

I apologize the noob angle on this, but I've been browsing recipes, and
have yet to find something that will work with these grains I got off a
friend the other day. Here's what I have (grains a cracked, so I feel I should use them soon)

2 lbs. of 2 row
2 lbs. of biscut
3 lbs. of caramel 40l

8 lbs light extract

nottinhams ale yeast

I have saaz, cascade, columbus, crystal, and UK kent(loose) for hops

Are their any reciepes close to some of the above, and I could source out the other stuff in the next few days?

Thanks guys.

KArb

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2008, 03:01 PM   #2
Jaeger48
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

8 lbs of DME or LME?

I love using 8oz of biscuit and 8oz of crystal 40 or 60 along with 5lbs of light DME with cascade hops to make a nice APA. You can try the trial version of beersmith and plug your ingredients in to see what the end product may be like.

Old 03-16-2008, 03:06 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

You don't have a steeping grain grainbill...you have a partial mash with extract grainbill.....I haven't run the recipe through any calculators but whatever it is will be damn tasty.

Are the grains already mixed together or is each grain seperated? That will have a bearing on whatever you want to do with them...If the 7 pounds are all mixed together then your recipe will be based on that...If they are seperate then we can make a different recipe...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-16-2008, 03:13 PM   #4
Revvy

Recipes 

Just running the numbers for the fermentables as is you have a really potent brew...

Original Gravity
1.097 (1.086 to 1.101)
Final Gravity
1.024 (1.021 to 1.026)
Color
19° SRM
(Light Brown to Medium Brown)

Alcohol
9.7% A.B.V.
7.5% A.B.W.
Calories
319 per 12 oz.

Not factoring in the hops bill yet...I'm trying to match it to a BJCP style first....

Because of the high ABV that doing it as is It looks like a barleywine....You could lower the abv and darken the color by using less of the Extract....

But imho, you'd be wasting the grains if you just steeped them....I'd get a 5-10 gallon cooler and do a partial mash....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Last edited by Revvy; 03-16-2008 at 03:19 PM.

Old 03-16-2008, 03:40 PM   #5
Revvy

Recipes 

You could make something like this..especially with all the hops you have...

Quote:
14C. Imperial IPA

Aroma: A prominent to intense hop aroma that can be derived from American, English and/or noble varieties (although a citrusy hop character is almost always present). Most versions are dry hopped and can have an additional resinous or grassy aroma, although this is not absolutely required. Some clean malty sweetness may be found in the background. Fruitiness, either from esters or hops, may also be detected in some versions, although a neutral fermentation character is typical. Some alcohol can usually be noted, but it should not have a “hot” character.
Appearance: Color ranges from golden amber to medium reddish copper; some versions can have an orange-ish tint. Should be clear, although unfiltered dry-hopped versions may be a bit hazy. Good head stand with off-white color should persist.
Flavor: Hop flavor is strong and complex, and can reflect the use of American, English and/or noble hop varieties. High to absurdly high hop bitterness, although the malt backbone will generally support the strong hop character and provide the best balance. Malt flavor should be low to medium, and is generally clean and malty although some caramel or toasty flavors are acceptable at low levels. No diacetyl. Low fruitiness is acceptable but not required. A long, lingering bitterness is usually present in the aftertaste but should not be harsh. Medium-dry to dry finish. A clean, smooth alcohol flavor is usually present. Oak is inappropriate in this style. May be slightly sulfury, but most examples do not exhibit this character.
Mouthfeel: Smooth, medium-light to medium body. No harsh hop-derived astringency, although moderate to medium-high carbonation can combine to render an overall dry sensation in the presence of malt sweetness. Smooth alcohol warming.
Overall Impression: An intensely hoppy, very strong pale ale without the big maltiness and/or deeper malt flavors of an American barleywine. Strongly hopped, but clean, lacking harshness, and a tribute to historical IPAs. Drinkability is an important characteristic; this should not be a heavy, sipping beer. It should also not have much residual sweetness or a heavy character grain profile.
Comments: Bigger than either an English or American IPA in both alcohol strength and overall hop level (bittering and finish). Less malty, lower body, less rich and a greater overall hop intensity than an American Barleywine. Typically not as high in gravity/alcohol as a barleywine, since high alcohol and malt tend to limit drinkability. A showcase for hops.
History: A recent American innovation reflecting the trend of American craft brewers “pushing the envelope” to satisfy the need of hop aficionados for increasingly intense products. The adjective “Imperial” is arbitrary and simply implies a stronger version of an IPA; “double,” “extra,” “extreme,” or any other variety of adjectives would be equally valid.
Ingredients: Pale ale malt (well-modified and suitable for single-temperature infusion mashing); can use a complex variety of hops (English, American, noble). American yeast that can give a clean or slightly fruity profile. Generally all-malt, but mashed at lower temperatures for high attenuation. Water character varies from soft to moderately sulfate.
OG: 1.070-1.090, FG: 1.010-1.020, IBUs: 60-120, SRM: 8-15, ABV: 7.5-10%

Old 03-16-2008, 03:46 PM   #6
Kayos
disclaimers are sissy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'd do this (but to each is own)

steep 1 lb crystal and 1/2 lb. biscuit

late extract addition your extract
columbus to bitter
saaz to flavor and aroma
call it a golden

or
do Goldings for your flavor and aroma and call it a special bitter English Ale

Primary #2: ESB
Big Blind: Pucker Bitter
Small Blind:
Tasty Remembrances: White 'N Nerdy, Dynamite Red (Hop bursted), APA, The Bonaduce (irish Red), runners stout, ridgeback brown,

from my big ass computer sitting on my floor

Old 03-16-2008, 03:48 PM   #7
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayos

columbus to bitter
saaz to flavor and aroma
call it a golden

or
Yeah...if all your grains are separated and you can measure them out this would be a great beer to make...

Old 03-16-2008, 05:06 PM   #8
karbinator
Recipes 

THanks for the fast replies !!

Grains are seperate, and cracked.
I have 6.6 lbs of light dry malt
and 8 lbs of liquid malt (light)

Old 03-16-2008, 08:33 PM   #9
karbinator
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayos

columbus to bitter
saaz to flavor and aroma
call it a golden

or

This looks interesting.
When you say late extract addition, do you mean the
Malt is added at the last 15-20min ? Does this apply with
LIquid malt as well, or just dry Malt ?

KArb

Old 03-16-2008, 08:57 PM   #10
batesjer
Recipes 

My first question is: Do you want to use all of the grains you have, or are you just wondering what possibilities there are with the grains and hops you have? Crystal 40, cascade, and columbus would make a pretty awsome IPA or APA, while the crystal, saaz, and goldings would make a nice ordinary bitter. Both styles would work well with your yeast.

Quick Reply