Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Steeping Grains

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2010, 08:44 PM   #1
rcooper44537
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Steeping Grains

I have plans to brew my first batch from extract but would like to start the brew with some steeping grains... Im just wondering if the sugars from the steeping grains will have enough of an effect on alcohol content for me to have to change my recipe?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2010, 08:48 PM   #2
Slider46
Recipes 

Depending on the steeping grain used you may see a slight increase in the gravity reading. I doubt it'd be enough to really "change" the recipe. I would estimate maybe less than 1% abv change. Maybe 0.5% ?

Brewing:
Ready: Nothing - All Gone :(
Bottled/Aging: Cherry Wheat
Primary: Nothing
Up Next: Irish Red Ale | Almost Flying Dog Pale Ale

My Threads:
Newbie's Fermentation Chiller
Space-Saving "Brew Closet"

Spoke'n Beer Blog - Beer and Bikes

Old 12-28-2010, 09:33 PM   #3
carrotmalt
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default <= $.02

Here's a malt chart that you might take a look at to get an idea of the potential for popular grains. I wouldn't think steeping would give you very high efficiency, but:

If you add say a pound of crystal 20 (1.035) at say 60% efficiency, that would give you

35 * .6 = 21

add that to 5 gal batch and get

21/5 = 4.2

So maybe you'd be adding around 1.0042 to your OG. That may be a bogus method if the steeping grains can't convert by themselves.

It's probably a minimal increase, but you could also check your gravity after steeping and calculate how much less extract you need accordingly. I probably wouldn't bother and would just take note of the difference after doing a batch.

I like a little more beer in my beer.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:54 PM   #4
rcooper44537
Recipes 

"but you could also check your gravity after steeping and calculate how much less extract you need accordingly"

Good point... just trying to iron out all of the details before i dive into home brewing for the first time.

Thanks! and Cheers

Old 12-28-2010, 10:04 PM   #5
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 283 Times on 254 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrotmalt View Post
Here's a malt chart that you might take a look at to get an idea of the potential for popular grains. I wouldn't think steeping would give you very high efficiency, but:

If you add say a pound of crystal 20 (1.035) at say 60% efficiency, that would give you

35 * .6 = 21

add that to 5 gal batch and get

21/5 = 4.2

So maybe you'd be adding around 1.0042 to your OG. That may be a bogus method if the steeping grains can't convert by themselves.

It's probably a minimal increase, but you could also check your gravity after steeping and calculate how much less extract you need accordingly. I probably wouldn't bother and would just take note of the difference after doing a batch.
You are absolutely correct in your calculations. I use 50%, but it's a crap shoot as to what you really get from steeping.

Steeping grains do not need to be converted; it's already sugar. You just have to 'rinse' the sugars out.

Steeping grains have more unfermentable sugars than ordinary grain. Not sure what the content is, but would guess the sugars are about 50% unfermentable.

Result: The use of 1 lb of steeping grain in 5 gallons (Crystal, Black, Chocolate, etc) will add about 0.25% to the final alcohol level. You will get more from the sugar you use to prime with.

Quick Reply