Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > steeping for full volume boils

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2007, 07:51 PM   #1
Willy Boner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default steeping for full volume boils

When doing a full boil, do you steep grains in a volume a couple gals. less than full, or do you just steep in a couple gals. then add to full volume? I'm not sure it makes much difference. I'm making a 7.5 gallon batch so I will steep in 5 Gals. then rinse grains with 2.5 gals of 170+ water. Then I will put in 2# extract and follow hop schedule and add the rest of extract at 15mins. to go

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2007, 08:05 PM   #2
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Any reason you're not mashing if you have full boil facilities?

Old 06-30-2007, 08:33 PM   #3
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have never tested the validity of this advice, but I have seen it recommended that you not exceed one gallon per pound of grain when steeping. Personally, I have had good success with about 2 quarts per pound for the steep, followed by a sparge with an equal amount. Then top up with water to reach your boil volume (if required).

As Orfy says, you might consider going AG if you already have full boil capacity. A cooler-based mash tun costs very little to make, and assuming you have a chiller and a thermometer already, you probably don't need much else (except a bit more time on your brew day!).

Old 07-01-2007, 02:12 AM   #4
Willy Boner
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Fly fishing or ale brewing?

Well I just bought me a 33 qt. brewpot,and I thought AG brewing looks to be more trouble than what it's worth, so I also aquired a 8 gal. fermenter to put to use so I thought I'd make a 7.5 Gal batch. Partial to Oatmeal Stout so , had to brew one up for me! Had a friend that had never seen brewing before so, had to share some old stories and have samples of what I was brewing up! Extract Ale tastes so good I wonder why people ever went to AG. Kind of reminds of a guy flyfishing for REAL,or some DipS%*T tossing a gob of worms, both catch fish and have great fun!

Old 07-01-2007, 02:38 AM   #5
Willy Boner
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

78 degrees, pitched 2 Safale US 05 pkgs. Going to have pizza, should be extreme action PLEASE!

Quick Reply