Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Steam Beer/ CA Common Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2006, 08:55 PM   #11
Rhoobarb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I never return my hydrometer samples for risk of contamination. Drink 'em instead! How else are you really going to know how things are coming along?!

I did a Steam/CaC that really turned out well and I plan to brew it again in another month or two. IIRC, it was in prinary for 6-7 days and in secondary for 14 days.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2006, 09:06 PM   #12
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

I've done some batches using that yeast strain in the low end of the temp range (58-60). I find that they ferment at about the same range as ales, maybe a touch slower. I think I have usually had primaries of about 7-9 days.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 12-13-2006, 09:13 PM   #13
Willie3

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Hydrometers are overrated. The only reason I use one is so I have an excuse to taste my beer as it moves on through its process. I rely on the All Good Method.

As long as it looks good, smells good, tastes good, and after a few it makes you you feel good, then its All Good.

- WW

Old 12-13-2006, 11:26 PM   #14
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Monkey
Thanks for all the info. I think the main reason i never take gravity readings is because I am worried about contamination. I have also read a lot of advice to not worry about it. When i start making my own recipes, hopefully sometime in the next couple months, i will start using it.
I'm with Roobarb on this one- I always drink my hydrometer samples. I like to think of it scientifically- how my beer is coming, what the s.g. is, etc. But the truth is I'm just doing it for a taste!

Actually, a hydrometer is a great tool. I use mine to see how I'm doing on hitting my og (not hard since I'm only doing partial mashes to date), if I'm close on f.g., and if it's time to bottle. It helped once when I had a stuck fermentation but didn't know it- the f.g. was 1.022 and I stopped myself from bottling and let it finish. But it is only a tool- not a rule. I still use mine when I put it in primary, when I stick it in secondary, and when I bottle. I don't obsess, but I do use it as a tool.

Lorena

Old 12-13-2006, 11:46 PM   #15
dibby33

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenae
I'm with Roobarb on this one- I always drink my hydrometer samples. I like to think of it scientifically- how my beer is coming, what the s.g. is, etc. But the truth is I'm just doing it for a taste!

Lorena
I agree also, it is essential to taste to ensure that the fermentation evolution is processing. Plus I normally cannot be arsed to keep the hydro and tube sterile and just slug it down the gullet.

Primary
s : Ginger Beer, Wheat Beer
Secondary :
Empty
Bottled
: all drunk
Drinking : A Lot.
Next Up : Wheat Beer with grainy things

Quick Reply