Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > st. peter's old style porter clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2007, 02:44 AM   #1
idkid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default st. peter's old style porter clone

okay...so i went to dayton, oh (i live in southern ohio) and discovered the amazing world of jungle jim's...wow...so many beers...i picked up an interesting looking porter called st. peter's old style porter...does anyone know of a good clone of this brew...it is one of the most amazing beers i've every tried with chocolate, coffee, etc hints...if you know of a good clone or something comparable in extra form please let me know...thanks

Tiocfaidh Ar La

"I kissed the bottle, I shoulda been kissin' you"-jawbreaker

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2007, 02:55 AM   #2
Whelk
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by idkid
okay...so i went to dayton, oh (i live in southern ohio) and discovered the amazing world of jungle jim's...wow...so many beers...i picked up an interesting looking porter called st. peter's old style porter...does anyone know of a good clone of this brew...it is one of the most amazing beers i've every tried with chocolate, coffee, etc hints...if you know of a good clone or something comparable in extra form please let me know...thanks

St Peter's is an English import in that cool green 16oz bottle, right? I've tried everything they make (except the porter), and every single beer I've had from them has been skunked. Let me know how this clone works out--I bet that unskunked this beer tastes totally awesome.

Nothing until I figure out if I can make it happen over in the UK.

Old 02-14-2007, 03:50 AM   #3
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whelk
St Peter's is an English import in that cool green 16oz bottle, right? I've tried everything they make (except the porter), and every single beer I've had from them has been skunked. Let me know how this clone works out--I bet that unskunked this beer tastes totally awesome.
I got one from a killer beer store just down the street from me and yeah . . .it wasnt skunked and it freeking rocked

Old 02-17-2007, 02:42 AM   #4
Walter Sobchak
Recipes 

Yeah, I'd like a clone of St. Peter's porter too. I bought it for the cool bottle, and was surprised with a great beer.

Old 02-17-2007, 05:02 PM   #5
NOVA Brewer
Recipes 

Well, add me to the "me too" chorus. I bought a couple of bottles from Total Wine & Beverage near me, and it's one of the best porters I've ever had!

Word of warning, though - I bought it for the cool bottle, too, and that label is a witch to remove. Had to resort to Goof-Off.

Bottled: Pumpkin Ale, Ed's Apfelwein IV
Kegged: Irish Stout, Northwest Pale Ale II
Thinking about: Rye Ale, Russian Imperial Stout
Gone: Robust Irish Porter, Ed's Apfelwein I, Ed's Apfelwein II, Northwest Pale Ale, Ed's Apfelwein III, English Brown Ale, Blanche de Chambly clone

Old 02-17-2007, 05:23 PM   #6
Conno
Recipes 

WTF is skunked??????

Old 02-17-2007, 09:18 PM   #7
idkid
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conno
WTF is skunked??????
skunking seems to typically occur with beers in bottles that are not brown...i.e. green, clear, etc...literally when you open the bottle it has a bit of a skunky smell and taste...i'm from appalachia so the smell of a skunk is easily recognizeable (haha)...the skunkiness isn't desirable obviously...i've had skunked beers from companies such as heineken, new castle, etc...although those beers aren't always skunked...their bottles make them susceptible due to the abilty of sunlight to enter their green and clear bottles, respectively...

Tiocfaidh Ar La

Old 02-17-2007, 11:05 PM   #8
Whelk
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conno
WTF is skunked??????

Yeah, skunked is when the beer is overexposed to light (sometimes heat fluctuation). It smells like a skunk and tastes like crap too.

Nothing until I figure out if I can make it happen over in the UK.

Old 03-24-2007, 05:26 AM   #9
Nemanach
Recipes 

Anyone ever find a clone of this fantastic beer? I just got back from England and I had one while there, absolutely loved the stuff.

Old 03-24-2007, 06:34 AM   #10
idkid
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemanach
Anyone ever find a clone of this fantastic beer? I just got back from England and I had one while there, absolutely loved the stuff.
I think I might have found a ProMash recipe, but for some reason I can't get it to load into my demo version. If you have ProMash I can forward the file to you and you can see if it works. And then of course if it does, we'll be brewin'.

Tiocfaidh Ar La

Quick Reply