Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > St. Bernardus 12 Extract Clone Recipe Help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2010, 04:34 AM   #1
tozebeach
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default St. Bernardus 12 Extract Clone Recipe Help

I've been looking around various sources (mostly all-grain) about a St. Bernardus 12 clone recipe. Combining a lot of them together and converting to extract, here is what I am thinking of going with...

5.5 Gallon Batch w/full boil
OG 1.098
FG 1.018
ABV 10.3%

Munich Liquid Malt Extract - 3.3 Lbs
Pilsner Dry Malt Extract - 7 lbs
D2 Belgian Candi Syrup - 3 lbs

Carafa Special III Malt Dehusked - 0.5 lbs
Aromatic Malt - 1 lbs

Target Hops - 1oz @ 60 mins
Saaz Hops - .5 oz @ 20 mins

Wyeast 3787 (Trappist High Gravity) yeast (big starter/double pitch)

Yeast pitched at 68F, rising to 84F for 5 to 7 days

Secondary fermentation 6-8 weeks at 50F

I have a few questions...
1) Would this 3787 yeast be closest to the Bernardus, or would I be better off with a WLP500 or other?
2) Is there anything I should keep in mind when using the large amounts of extract?
3) I really disliked the Rochefort 10 I tried, but I think that the Bernardus tastes heavenly. I often see these two lumped together...is there anything I can do to make this recipe distinctly Bernardus tasting and not Rochefort?
4) For the secondary fermentation, should I transfer to carboy, or leave the beer on the trub for the duration
5) How quickly should I rise the temp during primary from 68F to 84F? Should I pick up a heating belt to achieve this?

In addition, any recipe advice/tweaks would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2010, 02:44 AM   #2
SevenFields
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Good luck. St Bernardus Abt 12 is my #1 favorite beer!
Austin Homebrew Supply has this one that I have been thinking about. Im not sure how close it is to St Bernardus

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...9d8abf038ae7fd

Tap 1: Galaxy IPA
Tap 2: Bourbon Honey Brown Ale
Primary 1: Centential Blonde
Primary 2: Belgian IPA
Secondary:
Bottled: American Barleywine
On Deck: Torpedo IPA

Old 08-20-2010, 02:55 PM   #3
tozebeach
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenFields View Post
Good luck. St Bernardus Abt 12 is my #1 favorite beer!
Austin Homebrew Supply has this one that I have been thinking about. Im not sure how close it is to St Bernardus

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...9d8abf038ae7fd
I had looked at that AHS kit but I am pretty sure it's just a generic Belgian Quad kit and not specifically modeled after the Bernardus Abt 12.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:28 PM   #4
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

I think you need a healthy dose of Special B and Caramunich.

I'd cut back on the candi sugar and make that up with simple table sugar.

St Bernardus uses yeast from Westmalle. WLP 530 or wyeast 3787 is the Westmalle strain. Make sure you make a HUGE starter. Check the mr malty pitching calc to see how much you will need. Start the ferment in the mid 60's and slowly raise the temp to the low to mid 70's over the course of a week. Then hold it in the low to mid 70's until it's fully attenuated.

Do you have a copy of Brewing Classic Styles? I believe Jamil's Belgian Dark Strong is modeled after St Bernardus Abt 12.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:49 PM   #5
tozebeach
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maida7 View Post
I think you need a healthy dose of Special B and Caramunich.

I'd cut back on the candi sugar and make that up with simple table sugar.

St Bernardus uses yeast from Westmalle. WLP 530 or wyeast 3787 is the Westmalle strain. Make sure you make a HUGE starter. Check the mr malty pitching calc to see how much you will need. Start the ferment in the mid 60's and slowly raise the temp to the low to mid 70's over the course of a week. Then hold it in the low to mid 70's until it's fully attenuated.

Do you have a copy of Brewing Classic Styles? I believe Jamil's Belgian Dark Strong is modeled after St Bernardus Abt 12.
I was thinking about adding some Special B after reading the malt profile...sounds exactly like what I want. Half pound should be ok?

What is the reasoning behind subbing in the table sugar for the candi?

Alot of the quad recipes call for fermenting in the 80s initially....should I not do that?

Old 08-20-2010, 04:07 PM   #6
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tozebeach View Post
I was thinking about adding some Special B after reading the malt profile...sounds exactly like what I want. Half pound should be ok?

What is the reasoning behind subbing in the table sugar for the candi?

Alot of the quad recipes call for fermenting in the 80s initially....should I not do that?
Yeah 1/2 lb of special B is good. That stuff is kinda strong. I use a 1/2lb in my dubble and it's great.

Table sugar is cheaper then the candi. Unless your using the D2 type syrup. The rock candi really won't add much flavor. The sugar is really there to reduce the FG and make the beer drier and more drinkable.

DO NOT START in the 80's The initial phase of fermentaion is critical. The yeast will produce all kinds of harsh alcohols and crazy bananna flavors at high temps. Start slow in the mid 60's.

BUT warm towards the end. keeping it warm at the end is important for full attenuation. The yeast will be stressed from all the alcohol and if the temp drops a bit the yeast will quit working and you will have a sweet cloying beer. Sweet and cloying is the death of a belgian beer.

Old 08-20-2010, 04:32 PM   #7
tozebeach
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maida7 View Post
Yeah 1/2 lb of special B is good. That stuff is kinda strong. I use a 1/2lb in my dubble and it's great.

Table sugar is cheaper then the candi. Unless your using the D2 type syrup. The rock candi really won't add much flavor. The sugar is really there to reduce the FG and make the beer drier and more drinkable.

DO NOT START in the 80's The initial phase of fermentaion is critical. The yeast will produce all kinds of harsh alcohols and crazy bananna flavors at high temps. Start slow in the mid 60's.

BUT warm towards the end. keeping it warm at the end is important for full attenuation. The yeast will be stressed from all the alcohol and if the temp drops a bit the yeast will quit working and you will have a sweet cloying beer. Sweet and cloying is the death of a belgian beer.
Thanks for the clarification about the temps. I was planning on using the d2 candy syrup. They sell them in 3.3 lb containers so I was going to just dump it all in.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:02 PM   #8
Scruff
Recipes 

I just tried rochefort 10 last night during a tasting party. I have only tried extract brewing so far with success. I want to make this beer. How did yours turn out?

Quick Reply