The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > St.Arnold's Beer and kits from AHS

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2010, 07:33 PM   #11
Belmont
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sorry for the large batch size but I didn't feel like converting it.

10 Gal
OG=1.096 FG=1.023
38lb Pale Malt
1.75lb British Crystal 55L
0.38lb British Crystal 90L
0.11lb Chocolate Malt
1lb Wheat Malt
3.5lb Light DME
2oz Norther Brewer 9.5%AA (FWH)
.5oz North Down 7.9%AA (45min)
3oz Fuggles 4.6%AA (15min)
1oz Goldings 4.75%AA (15min)
1oz Fuggles 4.6%AA (1min)
WLP013 London Ale

They did make changes in the brewery but I had this off the keg from the batch that won the contest and it was better. He did a 2 hour boil on this too for melanoidin
formation but you may be able to add a bit of melanoidin malt to make up for it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2010, 07:56 PM   #12
adamhimself
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont View Post
Sorry for the large batch size but I didn't feel like converting it.

10 Gal
OG=1.096 FG=1.023
38lb Pale Malt
1.75lb British Crystal 55L
0.38lb British Crystal 90L
0.11lb Chocolate Malt
1lb Wheat Malt
3.5lb Light DME
2oz Norther Brewer 9.5%AA (FWH)
.5oz North Down 7.9%AA (45min)
3oz Fuggles 4.6%AA (15min)
1oz Goldings 4.75%AA (15min)
1oz Fuggles 4.6%AA (1min)
WLP013 London Ale

They did make changes in the brewery but I had this off the keg from the batch that won the contest and it was better. He did a 2 hour boil on this too for melanoidin
formation but you may be able to add a bit of melanoidin malt to make up for it.
Hmm. I live in an apartment currently and doing all grain isn't going to happen until I finish up school and move out... so a few months away.

Could I substitute more Light DME or Pale LME for the Pale Malt? I could toss this in BrewSmith and get it close to the same SG.

Since I would be doing a 5 gallon batch, would I want to ease up on some of the crystal and specialty grains?

When is the BBBB? I go to college in Lubbock, but I am originally from Houston (Clear Lake Area). I am home quite frequently and would love to check it out. I actually wanted to go to the AHA meeting that was at St.Arnold's this past weekend while I was in town, but I had a wedding to attend

Old 03-02-2010, 08:42 PM   #13
Belmont
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You can absolutely substitute the pale malt for an extract to get to the same OG. If the shop you buy from has an extract made from an english pale malt there is a slight difference so it'd be best to find a Maris Otter based extract but far from mandatory. Some people wouldn't notice the difference. If you don't get the Maris Otter extract then I'd defnitely add some Special B or Biscuit Malt to adjust. A very small amount though.

For the specialty malts I'd try to make them equal the same percentage of the grist. You said you were using BrewSmith and I don't remember if they show that or not. Beercalculus does online though if you want to use that or just calculate it yourself.

Here's the info on this year's BBBB.

"For the 15th Annual Big Batch Brew Bash, we will judge English Barleywines (BJCP style 19B). Judging will take place at the Saint Arnold brewery (2000 Lyons Ave.) on May 16, 2010."

Old 03-02-2010, 09:24 PM   #14
adamhimself
Recipes 

Cool, thanks.

I meant to say I have BeerSmith. I keep calling it BrewSmith for some reason.

I buy from AHS. Though, next time I am in Houston I was thinking of checking out DeFalcos. There is also some "Homebrewers Guild" homebrew shop in Clear Lake I need to check out as well.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:44 AM   #15
Belmont
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've never been, but have heard from some guys in my club that say that the shop in Clear Lake is not stocked very well. DeFalco's has a pretty solid inventory but it too far for me. I shop at the LHBS in The Woodlands called Brew it Yourself. It's right on I-45 just north of Rayford-Sawdust on the northbound side. The owner, Ray, is the only one that works there and is knowledgeable and keeps enough inventory that I can shop there almost exclusively.

As for brewing software, I'm familiar with BeerSmith. That was the first one I tried. I liked it but wasn't totally satisfied so I tried ProMash because a lot of people raved on it. Both applications were sorely lacking in several areas in my opinion so I kept looking. What I'm using now, and like quite a bit, is a Mac only app called BeerAlchemy. It still doesn't do everything the way I want it done so I'm working on my own app slowly but surely just so that I have what I want.

Oh, and I want to promote another great Texas beer. The guys at Southern Star make some phenomenal beer. Their first beer was called Pine Belt Pale Ale which was an American Pale Ale sold in a maroon 16oz tall-boy can. Very hoppy and does have a pine essence from the Columbus hops but they also put some Cascade and one of the more fruity hops like Amarillo or Centennial IIRC. The branding was marketing genius IMO. Being brewed in what is referred to as the pine belt of Texas. Packaged in the classic redneck tall-boy. Bold enough to represent the state of Texas. Good stuff. They have a blonde that sells well but I'm not a fan of. They also just started canning their Burried Hatchet stout which I don't have any hesitation in saying is the best year round beer brewed in Texas now. You have to look for it the next time you're in the Houston area.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:58 AM   #16
rca
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont View Post
The guys at Southern Star make some phenomenal beer.

They also just started canning their Burried Hatchet stout which I don't have any hesitation in saying is the best year round beer brewed in Texas now. You have to look for it the next time you're in the Houston area.
Totally agree on the Buried Hatchet, love that beer.

Ron

Old 03-23-2010, 10:40 PM   #17
Monty420th
Recipes 

okay I absolutely love this brewery and is some of the tastiest around...has anyone found a clone for the Elissa (for me) and the lawnmower (for SWMBO)?

thanks!

BTW, if there is anyone from Saint Arnold's on here, the new brewery look nice

Primary 1 - Santa's Morning Wood
Primary 2 - Santa's Morning Wood
Primary 3 - IPA
Primary 4 - IPA
Keg 1 - Dark lager 1.1
Keg 2 - Dark lager 1.2
Keg 3 - Dark lager 1.3
Keg 4 - Dark lager 1.4
Keg 5 - Coffee stout
Keg 6 - IPA redux
2012 to date - 10Gal

Old 03-24-2010, 01:05 AM   #18
D_Struct
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty420th View Post
okay I absolutely love this brewery and is some of the tastiest around...has anyone found a clone for the Elissa (for me) and the lawnmower (for SWMBO)?

thanks!

BTW, if there is anyone from Saint Arnold's on here, the new brewery look nice
While I haven't found a recipe for their Fancy Lawnmower, Austin Home Brew has a Lawnmower recipe kit available.

Do some searching on the boards for the Elissa recipe. I could've sworn I read about someone with a comparable recipe on here.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:31 AM   #19
Monty420th
Recipes 

google is usually good to me and points me in the right direction with HBT, not in this case however

Primary 1 - Santa's Morning Wood
Primary 2 - Santa's Morning Wood
Primary 3 - IPA
Primary 4 - IPA
Keg 1 - Dark lager 1.1
Keg 2 - Dark lager 1.2
Keg 3 - Dark lager 1.3
Keg 4 - Dark lager 1.4
Keg 5 - Coffee stout
Keg 6 - IPA redux
2012 to date - 10Gal

Old 03-24-2010, 01:46 AM   #20
D_Struct
Recipes 

All I could find to help out.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...ducts_id=11680

Last edited by D_Struct; 03-24-2010 at 01:54 AM.

Quick Reply