Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > St.Arnold's Beer and kits from AHS

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2010, 04:28 PM   #1
adamhimself
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default St.Arnold's Beer and kits from AHS

Some of my favorite beers come from St.Arnold's in Houston (hometown!!) and I have been trying to hit the nail on the head as to what that distinctive St.Arnold's taste is... I think it has to do with their yeast, which is a proprietary blend. I read somewhere on here (doing a search) that Brock @ St.Arnold's will share recipes for his brew if you email him. I did, but he said they were moving breweries so he couldn't help me out for 3 months. I asked for the Divine Reserve no.9 recipe.

I looked around on here for an extract recipe for any St.Arnold's brews and came up with nothing. I did find some chatter about it, but nothing special.

For those who don't know much about Divine Reserve series:
http://www.saintarnold.com/beers/divine.html

No.9 was an Imperial Pumpkin Stout sitting @ 11% ABV. It tasted amazing and one of the best beers i've ever had.

I am looking to either recreate this or try my hand at one of St.Arnold's other beers. Brown Ale, Amber Ale, Christmas Ale, Winter Stout or DR#9.

Austin Homebrew Supply carries various St.Arnold's kits. I was hoping to try either the Brown or Christmas. St.Arnold's Winter Stout was amazing, but alas... AHS doesn't have that one listed.

Has anyone ever used AHS for St.Arnold's kits? or ever replicated one? and could I get the recipe?

Thanks.

For educational purposes:

AHS kits: Can be found by clicking here

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2010, 07:06 PM   #2
adamhimself
Recipes 

No one?

I decided to go with their AHS' St.Arnold's Christmas Ale clone. The style they make is supposed to be old ale. So, we shall see... I know its not Christmas, but who says you can't have Christmas in Spring?

Old 03-01-2010, 04:55 PM   #3
D_Struct
Recipes 

My favorite from St. Arnolds is their Fancy Lawnmower. Something about the flavor just screams "Summertime!"

I can't wait to pick up a Lawnmower extract kit from Austin Homebrew. It will probably be my second or third batch.

I've spent many a night in the old St. Arnold's brewery "sampling" the goods. I can't wait to go to the new location.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:14 PM   #4
Belmont
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm in Houston and our club has some pretty tight ties to Saint Arnold. I'll ask about clone recipes. I like some of their beers and agree wholeheartedly about DR#9. That is one amazing beer and one of the best ever. I, on the other hand, don't appreciate most of their annual offerings. There's something about them that I don't particularly like. The exception is the Elissa IPA which is one of my favorite IPAs. The hops in that one cover up what I think is a yeast character that I don't care for. The DR#8 Strong Scotch Ale was brewed from the winning recipe of a local competition. We have this one annually and the winner gets to brew it with the guys at Saint Arnold on their system as one of the DR series. I already have that recipe if you're interested.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:27 PM   #5
rca
Recipes 

I was at the St. Arnold's newery yesterday and got to talk to Brock. They started brewing at the new brewery on Saturday, so they are officially moved. Yesterday they held and AHA Rally at the newery.

I did ask about a couple of things in their brew process with one interesting note about the water. They use the City of Houston water filtered through a charcoal filter system, then through a RO system. He did say that they have to add some city water back into the RO filtered water or they get fermentation issues (still goes through the charcoal filter). I wonder if it is our great Houston water you are tasting?!?!?!

Fun time yesterday. I tried the Elissa IPA for the first time and really enjoyed it. They also had the Spring Bock on tap and it was good too.

Ron

Old 03-01-2010, 08:27 PM   #6
TexasSpartan
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Love the Saint Arnold Winter Stout. That is a tasty beer.

Keg 1: Falconer's Flight IPA
Keg 2: Honey Jalapeno Saison

Old 03-02-2010, 12:08 PM   #7
Belmont
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I like the Winter Stout and Spring Bock a bit too. That Elissa I can't drink enough of though. I got this from someone in my club...

"Here is a clone recipe for St. Arnold Christmas Ale I found from BYO, December 2004

5 Gal
OG=1.066 FG=1.013
IBU=22 SRM=22 ABV=6.8%
11 lbs. 2 row pale malt
13 oz. Munich malt
7 oz. CaraMunich malt
7 oz. Special B malt
1lb. 3 oz. CaraVienne malt
1 tsp. Irish moss (15 min)
10.8 AAU Perle hops (30 min) (1.5 oz. of 7.2% alpha acid)
3 oz. Liberty hops (0 min)
Wyeast 1968 (London ESB) or While Labs WLP002 (English Ale)
Single infusion mash @ 150. Boil for 90 min. Ferment @ 72 deg"

...and I have an Elissa clone from BYO as well that I'll post in a bit.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:15 PM   #8
Belmont
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

6 Gal
OG=1.062 FG=1.018
13lb Maris Otter
12oz British Crystal 75
3oz Cascade 5% AA @ 60min
1.5oz Cascade 5% AA @ 15min
1.5oz Cascade 5% AA @ 1min
1oz Cascade dry hop
White Labs London Ale WLP013 or Wyeast 1028 London Ale Yeast

I brewed this one and it was in the ballpark but I remember thinking it needed an adjustment of some sort. I think my water was off. It was a damn good IPA either way though.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:12 PM   #9
adamhimself
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont View Post
"Here is a clone recipe for St. Arnold Christmas Ale I found from BYO, December 2004

5 Gal
OG=1.066 FG=1.013
IBU=22 SRM=22 ABV=6.8%
11 lbs. 2 row pale malt
13 oz. Munich malt
7 oz. CaraMunich malt
7 oz. Special B malt
1lb. 3 oz. CaraVienne malt
1 tsp. Irish moss (15 min)
10.8 AAU Perle hops (30 min) (1.5 oz. of 7.2% alpha acid)
3 oz. Liberty hops (0 min)
Wyeast 1968 (London ESB) or While Labs WLP002 (English Ale)
Single infusion mash @ 150. Boil for 90 min. Ferment @ 72 deg"
That is the exact recipe that AHS sells. I am roughly 9 days in to fermenting on the Christmas Ale. I am having trouble getting the FG down to 1.012/1.013. Right now, its at a steady 1.016. I used White Labs English Ale yeast. I think racking to my carboy should help out a little, but its been that gravity for 3-5 days now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont View Post
The DR#8 Strong Scotch Ale was brewed from the winning recipe of a local competition. We have this one annually and the winner gets to brew it with the guys at Saint Arnold on their system as one of the DR series. I already have that recipe if you're interested.
Yeah! I am very interested. I heard a rumor that DR#10 is going to be Barleywine, because this year (like you said) the beer for big batch brew bash is Barleywine. We shall see...

Personally, my non-seasonal favorite is Elissa IPA too. I love the Christmas Ale and Winter Stout for the seasonals.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:23 PM   #10
Belmont
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The style for the next Big Batch Brew Bash will, in fact, be a barleywine. English Barleywine to be exact which is what I prefer. I'm definitely going to get in on the judging for that one. I'll get you the DR#8 recipe shortly.

Quick Reply