Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Spiking gravity in caribou slobber

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2011, 01:31 AM   #1
beerhermit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Spiking gravity in caribou slobber

Thinking of brewing some caribou slobber and adding molasses to up the O.G. Question is should I add more hops to balance the sweetness? If so, what would people suggest? Also, would I need a different yeast then the one suggested in the kit or a double pitch or a starter? Thanks for any help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2011, 02:00 AM   #2
jester5120
The Vanilla Gorilla
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 20

It all depends on how much molasses you add. a pound will probly raise the gravity about 10 points. for that you don't necessarily need to add more hops unless you want to. a normal yeast starter or the proper amount of dry yeast should also be sufficient for that much of a gravity change.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:12 AM   #3
beerhermit
Recipes 

Oh cool, your making it easy on me, thanks for the info duder! Any other suggestions as far as making a 'bigger' brown with caribou slobber as my starting point?

Old 12-11-2011, 02:26 AM   #4
jester5120
The Vanilla Gorilla
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

you could use maple syrup or brown sugar instead of or with the molasses. If you really want it to be kinda different throw some bourbon in there after fermentation is done. that would make it similar to nb's bourbon barrel porter recipe.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:44 AM   #5
beerhermit
Recipes 

Sounds like a plan... I just did a stout and added 400ml of bourbon soaking with cherries....how much bourbon would you toss in to a 5 gallon batch. My stout is still carbonating but I tasted it and I worry that the amount I used has gone from ' subtle' to just 'non-existent'....

Old 12-11-2011, 02:57 AM   #6
OldWorld
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Molasses can vary in sugar content. Maple is not very cost effective for flavor. Unless you can find the darkest lowest grade which is tough. Most maple is either grade a or b...The lower the grade the better because it will be less refined and have more color/flavor.

Molasses will give a very syrupy body...I used two pounds in a stout...it turned out fabulous the head retention was very low but it had excellent carbonation and mouthfeel. It fermented dry but left a very viscous finish. I'd say go for the molasses but remember the byproducts are not as fermentable as pure table sugar.

Still Molasses is a darn good adjunct. Black strap can add a bitter astringent character without the need to use black patent malt but it will also add some sweetness. Good luck. I'd use at least 1LB but some people will call me crazy for suggesting that.

Any residual sweetness won't hurt.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:36 PM   #7
beerhermit
Recipes 

Hey thought I'd let you guys know where I landed on this. Decided to add 23.5 oz raw agave nectar as well as 1oz cascade at 15 min in an attempt to balance it out. Plugged it into beercalculus and ended up with 1.062 o.g. And 43.5 IBU. Brewing tonight....will let u know how this agave brown turns out.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:47 PM   #8
jester5120
The Vanilla Gorilla
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

cool. sounds interesting

Quick Reply