The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > speical ingredients

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2007, 07:15 PM   #1
bird
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default speical ingredients

hey what's up. my name is bird and I got a email sayin I should probably post. I've been reading a lot on this forum so Its about time I say something. There are a bunch of us who collectively brew beer in my town. It's so fun and tasty. we have recently tried some good ingredients. We have been using lavender in some beers. we brewed a lavender I.P.A. and we just had a stout come in. It's really yumy. we put baking cocoa in the brew and dry hopped some lavender later. lavender cocoa stout. It Is realy good. one thing about lavender we have found is that you don't need very much. We also had a belgian style come in and it was good too. We put cinnamon in the brew and dry hopped fresh apples in it. This beer is sooo good. It was really light and had a cider like feel to it. I recently made my own hazelnut extract and put it in a hazelnut brown ale. not sure if the hazelnut is going to come through but I hope it does. some other things I'm going to try is chapolte powder and also soaking oak chips in whiskey to make a bourbon stout. Any of ya'll got some interesting ingredients that have/havn't worked well?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2007, 07:46 PM   #2
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Welcome.

Interesting but not my style. I like my beer to taste like beer.
If I want food tastes I eat food.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:05 PM   #3
jowens
Recipes 

Sounds fascinating to me! I was just eyeballing the Radical Brewing book. Don't see the point of mak'n it yourself if you don't do funny things to the recipe every now and then.

Primary - Prehopped Export Stout Kit
Primary - Ed's Apfelwein
Bottled - Amarillo Pale Ale kit from Midwest

Old 07-19-2007, 09:02 PM   #4
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orfy
Welcome.

Interesting but not my style. I like my beer to taste like beer.
If I want food tastes I eat food.
EACism at its finest....well maybe not finest, I guess the "welcome." and mugs make it alright.
Welcome bird, sounds like you make some interesting beer. I used grapefruit peel in one of my brews, it is too strong now so I'm hoping it will mellow. I'll be trying hazelnut flavoring soon in a brew that is designed to resemble Rogues Hazelnut Brown Ale.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:20 AM   #5
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

welcome to the forums. those are some interesting brews. I'd be afraid to experiment that 'radically' right now, but its cool you made something drinkable...especially if it was damn tastey!

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 07-20-2007, 04:47 AM   #6
Madtown Brew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by landhoney
I'll be trying hazelnut flavoring soon in a brew that is designed to resemble Rogues Hazelnut Brown Ale.
I've yet to try a hazelnut brew that I liked (all commercial). Wierd too because I like hazelnuts themselves.

A lavender IPA sounds pretty interesting though. Its kind of funny, I had just craked an IPA yesterday while sitting next to a big stalk of freshly cut oriental lillies, and I remarked to the GF about how interesting the combination of the cascade hops and lily fragrance was. If only....

Welcome bird. Keep up the crazy experiments.
flanders red
Kegged:
Oktoberfest

Old 07-20-2007, 04:54 AM   #7
dibby33

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yeup, crazy is good. keep us up to speed on your trials (and errors)

Oh and welcome...

Primary
s : Ginger Beer, Wheat Beer
Secondary :
Empty
Bottled
: all drunk
Drinking : A Lot.
Next Up : Wheat Beer with grainy things

Old 07-20-2007, 05:35 AM   #8
Professor Frink

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Not to hijack the thread, but I recently made a hazelnut brown, I recommend using the organic hazelnut extract from whole foods. I used a 2 oz. bottle and it was suprisingly not overwhelming. It was less hazelnut flavor than Rogue, but it allowed the malt flavor to come through.

On tap:Amber Ale
Milk Stout

Lagering:

http://www.lazydogbrewery.com

Old 07-20-2007, 05:42 AM   #9
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Well I must admit I like me Banana Bread Beer.

Old 07-20-2007, 06:05 AM   #10
bird
Recipes 

hey thanx for the responses. I think I might like this forum thing.
I have had the rouge hazelnut brown before too. I liked it and I usually don't like the malty beers as much as the bitter IPA or the really roasty stout. I liked rouge's. Here is my experience making hazelnut extract.
I decided not to use hazelnut extract bought from the store because I didn't want the beer to come out sweet. I bought some filberts, which I guess are hazelnuts. I bought two 2.5 ounce bags, I roasted them in the oven for a half hour or so. then the outside of the nuts peel off...so you can just rub them between your hands and the outside falls off. then I crushed them with a hammer and put them in a grain bag in a quart of water on the stove. I kept the temp at around 150 to 160 because I worried about tannin getting extracted. I check it after a half hour, then at an hour I noticed a big change...at an hour and a half I noticed even more change so I let it sit in there for over three hours. It was really roasty and hazel nutty. next time I might boil it down with the nuts not in it to see how consintrated I can get it. I think I'm going to add more hazelnut extract when I bottle it. I think I may experiment with other nuts too...... thinking almonds?!

Quick Reply