Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Specialty grains, steeped in full boil?!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2009, 12:32 PM   #11
torque2k
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm sure you're correct, and as I didn't notice any abnormal taste, it's probably fine on the steeping side. The fermentation side, though, is another story altogether. I still have no movement in the airlock, so that's, what, 90 hours or so? I'm going to have to re-read the entire sticky on fermentation time and lag... Ah, research. Where would I be without the interwebs?!

Secondary 1 and 2: air
Bottles: air/dust

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2009, 01:24 PM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4785 Times on 3480 Posts
Likes Given: 956

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2k View Post
Ah, research. Where would I be without the interwebs?!
Tell me about it! Without the internet, I wouldn't be brewing, growing hops, making cheese, researching how to make soap, planning on building a brewstand, making wine, etc.

Wait. Without the internet, I'd have way more money and have more productive days. Hmmmmm.

As far as no signs of fermentation yet, are you certain? Sometimes you don't see any airlock bubbling or anything but when you check the SG, it's fermented out. It's happened to me, especially in warm weather when the beer fermented out overnight. Check the SG, and see if you're still at the same OG. If you are, pitch some fresh yeast. If not, then you're fine.

Old 09-11-2009, 03:54 PM   #13
torque2k
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Wait. Without the internet, I'd have way more money and have more productive days. Hmmmmm.
+1

Quote:
As far as no signs of fermentation yet, are you certain? Sometimes you don't see any airlock bubbling or anything but when you check the SG, it's fermented out. It's happened to me, especially in warm weather when the beer fermented out overnight. Check the SG, and see if you're still at the same OG. If you are, pitch some fresh yeast. If not, then you're fine.
I was trying to be patient, but four full days with no bubbles has me wondering. I'll take a reading tonight (when I have a two brews, one in my hand and one in my belly), see what I can see. This is the first time I've used Nottingham dry yeast (but I did rehydrate it), I'm used to using Safale 04 and 05, which fire up so quickly...

Thanks again, all!

Old 09-11-2009, 05:13 PM   #14
johnnyc
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I was steeping in my full 6 gallon boil for a while then I figured out I could shorten my brew day by bringing my full turkey fryer up to 160ish, then scoop roughly 2 quarts of water for the steeping into a smaller pot. I steep in this while continue heating the majority of the water in the turkey fryer pot. By the time my 30 min steep is over the turkey fryer is boiling or close to it and it comes back up to a boil quickly after pouring in my steeping water. As a side effect steeping in less water is supposed to be better anyway so...

Kegged: Hoppy Amber, ESB, Weizenbock, Breakfast Stout, IPA

Fermenting: Yooper's Oktoberfest

Old 09-11-2009, 05:42 PM   #15
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Without the internet, I'd have way more money and have more productive days.
Well, it depends on your definition of productive. Sounds to me like you're VERY productive!

Old 09-11-2009, 07:53 PM   #16
BeerShedBrewingCo
Recipes 

I have never had any issues doing exactly what you said you have done. I steep mine in my 6 gallons, as I am raising my water temperature to 160F. I just make sure it takes 30 minutes to do this. Everyone I have ever done like this has been fine, but I also don't have any water issues that I know of.

Old 09-12-2009, 01:18 AM   #17
torque2k
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
I was trying to be patient, but four full days with no bubbles has me wondering. I'll take a reading tonight (when I have a two brews, one in my hand and one in my belly), see what I can see...
And, as if by magic, I walk into the room tonight and what do I smell? Yumminess (TM). Airlock was hitting once every two seconds. This morning, it was not bubbling after I stared it down for a full five minutes. I sniffed around the lid on the bucket, but didn't smell anything coming from the seal, so I don't think it was pushing out that way the whole time, but like I said, buckets go bye-bye for the next brew session.

Actually, what someone needs to invent is a bucket lid made of the same plastic that Better Bottles are made of (PET?). That way, you could see what's going on. Couple that with rim adapters like I've read about in BYO, and you've got a halfway decent setup that you can easily strain into (unlike carboys with their small openings) with a good reusable seal.

Old 09-12-2009, 04:54 AM   #18
agroff383
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
+1

I was trying to be patient, but four full days with no bubbles has me wondering. I'll take a reading tonight (when I have a two brews, one in my hand and one in my belly), see what I can see. This is the first time I've used Nottingham dry yeast (but I did rehydrate it), I'm used to using Safale 04 and 05, which fire up so quickly...

Thanks again, all!

Don't slam Notty, maybe you got one of their "Slower" batches that people are talking about on here. It is slammin' and jammin' every time I pitch it within 18 hrs....I love it. But 04 and 05 isn't too shabby either I also use them a good bit so far.

Can I have your business card?

Old 09-13-2009, 09:06 AM   #19
yeoldebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:

Actually, what someone needs to invent is a bucket lid made of the same plastic that Better Bottles are made of (PET?). That way, you could see what's going on. Couple that with rim adapters like I've read about in BYO, and you've got a halfway decent setup that you can easily strain into (unlike carboys with their small openings) with a good reusable seal.
+1 on a great product idea

My airlock passes gas.

Quick Reply