Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Spec grain mill ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
BxBrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default Spec grain mill ?

Wondering if any extract brewers get there spec grains uncrushed ? And crush them yourself ? Some times when buying kits i don't brew them right away. Also out of the big 4 online brew supplies. The crush doesn't seem that good.

Should i just use a rolling pin and finnish the job ? Mortar and pestle ? I don't really need a 4in mill for 1 or 2 pounds of specialty grains.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 10:53 PM   #2
beeber
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Go with the rolling pin. When you eventually get tired of the rolling you might consider a cheap mill like the corona.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:13 AM   #3
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 773 Times on 647 Posts
Likes Given: 266

If you could ever find one a beer bottle works pretty decent for crushing grains too. While you are brewing extract beers the quality of the crush isn't as important as it becomes when doing all grain.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:59 AM   #4
BxBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Thanks for the replies guys . I'm at the point where I'm refining my brew days. I'm a bit OCD with stuff like this. I even go so far as to sparge a little bit to get the most out of it. Since I can tell the difference why not right ?

Beer bottle is a good one !

Old 12-18-2012, 02:04 AM   #5
Satisfaction
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts

I only did one extract with grain before jumping into All Grain. I started with the rolling pin, but quickly pulled out my blade coffee grinder and used it.. that showed some promise. Not sure how well it would stand up to a couple pounds..

Old 12-18-2012, 02:57 PM   #6
twbalding
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BxBrewer
Thanks for the replies guys . I'm at the point where I'm refining my brew days. I'm a bit OCD with stuff like this. I even go so far as to sparge a little bit to get the most out of it. Since I can tell the difference why not right ?

Beer bottle is a good one !
I also do a mini spathe on my specialty grains. Lol... My OG always seems higher then the recipe. Which I like, for what ever reason.

Quick Reply