The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Some questions about extracts: types and quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2007, 03:59 PM   #1
zonabb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Some questions about extracts: types and quality

I've recently bottled my first batch of extract brew and am ready to get away from the kits and order some extract to brew with the addition of hops and other adjuncts.

I was just wondering what people think about the quality of the various brands of malt extract and if anyone uses dried malt over extract syrups?

The reason is that in any product, some producers make better products than others. I've read that some malt producers add to their extracts with things like corn syrups and other unnecessary additives. I'm looking to just see what people day and prefer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2007, 04:11 PM   #2
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonabb
The reason is that in any product, some producers make better products than others. I've read that some malt producers add to their extracts with things like corn syrups and other unnecessary additives. I'm looking to just see what people day and prefer.
I have also read this however all the extracts I have commonly seen say they are 100% malt extract. This includes Munton's, John Bull, Cooper's and Briess. I think this practice is much less common than it once was. Home brewers are in general much better informed than they were in the early days so pure malt extracts are a better selling point.
Craig

Old 04-10-2007, 04:20 PM   #3
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Dry malt over syrup anyday. Late addition brewing with dry malt extract (DME) allows you to make lighter colored brews.

Munton's over Laaglander. Munton's is more fermentable.

Bulk is always cheaper.

Old 04-10-2007, 04:21 PM   #4
uwmgdman

Recipes 

Agreed with the 100% malt.

I use dry malt extract: Briess, Muton and Fison, and Northwestern. I used Laagander once too, it was fine, from what I've read and based on my one batch, it finishes a couple points higher than other extracts.

Drinking: 2013 Maker's Mark Bourbon Barrel Stout, Imperial IPA, Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone

Old 04-10-2007, 04:21 PM   #5
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have used Briess LME, Muntons & Laaglander DME in my extract brews..all three resulted in some fantastic brews. No issues with using them again.

Some of the basic kit canned extracts & prehopped extracts that I first started with several years were not all that memorable and don't really stick out one way or the other.

Old 04-10-2007, 04:45 PM   #6
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I always use Munton's extra light DME for my fermentables and get any color or other characteristics from specialty grain. I find this gives me a little bit more control over the final product.

I would avoid LME, I used it early on and found it to leave a distinct extract "twang" which I have not experienced since switching to all DME; worth the added cost IMO.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 04-10-2007, 05:44 PM   #7
zonabb
Recipes 

Thanks! I expected these sort of answer so the confirmation is good.

I guess then my question would be: when using DME can you substitute it straight up, pound for pound, for LME?

I haven't got too much into reviewing recipes because I brew my first as a kit and I have one more LME kit to go, an IPA. But after that, my preference and intent has always been to be able to be more creative and brew better beer, either continuing to using MEs in some form.

Old 04-10-2007, 05:55 PM   #8
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Thanks! I expected these sort of answer so the confirmation is good.

I guess then my question would be: when using DME can you substitute it straight up, pound for pound, for LME?

I haven't got too much into reviewing recipes because I brew my first as a kit and I have one more LME kit to go, an IPA. But after that, my preference and intent has always been to be able to be more creative and brew better beer, either continuing to using MEs in some form.
you can search for the discussion on substitution rates.

Personally, I have used plenty of briess LME and no one has ever commented on extract twang with my brews.

Old 04-10-2007, 05:58 PM   #9
Pedro-

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
Late addition brewing with dry malt extract (DME) allows you to make lighter colored brews.
Just don't forget to adjust your hops for the lower gravity boil.

Your pale ale might turn into the lower end of an IPA without the balancing sweetness haha!

*trying to hide obvious experience talk*

Ferm: 10 gal Apfelwein :)
Kegged: Wit, Blonde Ale, What Wheat?
Bottled: Apfelwein, Stout
Up Next: ESB, Honey Lager, CCA
Down the Hatch: A whole sh*t-ton!

Old 04-10-2007, 07:00 PM   #10
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:

No, LME has water in it and DME does not so DME is more concentrated. I can't remember the exact conversion factor, do a search, it's around here somewhere.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Quick Reply