Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > So I dont have a wort chiller...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2010, 08:21 PM   #1
DRdUSTYmUSTARD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default So I dont have a wort chiller...

I brewed my second batch today and i dont have a wort chiller. I thought it would be a good idea to do as much of a full volume boil as i could, until after i did it and realized i wouldnt be able to chill my wort quickly. right now its about 115'F. I put some ice in sanitized bags to get it to its current temp. Am i screwed on this batch? ive got more ice freezing but its going to take a little while. i covered my fermenter bucket so nothing can get in. Any tips would be appreciated, or just let me know if i f'd this one up.
Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2010, 08:28 PM   #2
scrambledegg81
Flocculation Nation
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Worry not, squire. Fill your tub 1/4 full of water and another 1/4 with ice. Should be fine in about 20-30 minutes as long as you keep stirring the wort & ice water every few minutes.

Primary: Nada
Secondary: The Plinian Legacy (NB clone of Pliny the Elder)
Bottled/Fridge: Firestone Easy Jack IPA
Bombers/Growlers/Aging: Firestone 17th & 18th Anniversary ales
Kegerator: Uinta Hop Notch IPA
Coming Up: something spiffy, most likely

Old 02-06-2010, 08:33 PM   #3
DRdUSTYmUSTARD
Recipes 

Default #2

i should also note that i made a second rookie mistake of aerating my wort while it was still hot...i guess you dont learn without making mistakes

Old 02-06-2010, 08:50 PM   #4
DRdUSTYmUSTARD
Recipes 

i went to the grocery store, 20lbs ice added to my tub, fermenter is cooling. thanks

Old 02-06-2010, 10:52 PM   #5
breadbohn
Recipes 

Yep, water + ice + 1/2 hour always does the trick for me. During this time I change the water out maybe 5 or 6 times. When I'm not sitting, I like the keep a lid on the pot, jsut so nothing unwanted floats in.

There's nothing so lonesome, morbid or drear
Than to stand at the bar in a pub with no beer.
- Australian folk song

Old 02-07-2010, 01:56 PM   #6
rclonber
Recipes 

I don't have a chiller either so what I do is buy a gallon of the bottled spring water at the store and freeze the night before and then cut it out of the bottle and put it into the fermentor and then strain my wort onto it. Then I ad the remaining cold water to it. I usually get to about 75 to 78 degrees withing about 20 min after a full boil!

Old 02-08-2010, 12:14 AM   #7
$bill
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I use a 6-quart pot to make 2.5-gallon batches, so I don't have a wort chiller either.

Before I brew I refrigerate about 2 gallons of filtered water. I put a gallon or so into the fermenter, pour in my 3-4 quarts of wort, then top it off with more refrigerated water. Usually, I end up with about 2.5 gallons of wort at 75F or thereabouts within a minute of taking the wort off the stovetop.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:51 AM   #8
DRdUSTYmUSTARD
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclonber View Post
I don't have a chiller either so what I do is buy a gallon of the bottled spring water at the store and freeze the night before and then cut it out of the bottle and put it into the fermentor and then strain my wort onto it. Then I ad the remaining cold water to it. I usually get to about 75 to 78 degrees withing about 20 min after a full boil!
What if instead of cutting out the ice, I sanitize the outside of the jugs and put them in the full volume wort to cool it? This is sort of what I was doing by putting ice in sanitized bags. I also discovered my digital Taylor thermometer was way off, i guess it needs calibration which is B.S. since i just got it a couple weeks ago. Thanks for the responses. My brew is bubbling/fermenting like crazy right now, I had to rig up a blow off set up cause my airlock was filling up with foam and hop debris.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:30 AM   #9
1Brotherbill
Recipes 

Do you have anything else with your brewing equipment? Just asking.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:37 PM   #10
DRdUSTYmUSTARD
Recipes 

I have two 6.5 gallon buckets(fermenter, bottling bucket), an auto siphon, 3 piece airlock, a bottle capper, that little bottle filling thing, and cleaning stuff. Is that what you were asking?

Quick Reply