The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Simple beer recipe help needed! :mug:

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #11
sielm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 15

After 24 hours the bubbling is constant. Some krausen entered into the airlocks and knocked the airlock caps off. Both containers are fermenting strongly. I had to remove the airlocks to clean them, with some luck nothing bad should have happened then...

Fingers are crossed!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 03:34 PM   #12
sielm
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Today the airlock activity level has slowed down noticeably. I had to change both airlocks again because some krausen got into them. Replaced them quickly with freshly sanitized airlocks filled with water and a few 96º alcohol drops.

Two full days have passed since pitching the yeast. The locker it's on smells wonderfully (I love the smell of brewing batches hehe). We'll see how this turns out.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:15 AM   #13
sielm
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Today is the 5th day fermenting. The airlocks are still bubbling but much more slowly. There is a 1inch thick layer of yeast in the bottom on each container. One thing I've discovered is that these water bottles have weird shapes and their inside is not flat, so yeast is also deposited in smaller layers on those places. I need to get my hands on a better fermentor with flat walls. This way I will save on the long run too, as I won't have to purchase water bottles for each batch. And I prefer a single fermentor over 2 separate ones!

Old 02-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #14
sielm
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well, yesterday after 14 days fermenting the FG was 1.014 (did not change for 3 days) so I decided to bottle this up. I used table sugar (sucrose) for priming because I have no way to get dextrose. I got 8.5 liters (out of the original 10, not bad!) and after tasting the hydrometer sample I have to say WOW! This already tastes great even before carbonating and aging!

I'll post some pics when I get to open the first bottle. I will probably do so at the 1 week mark (I know I need patience but I really have to sample it soon hehehe)

Best regards

Old 02-21-2013, 05:20 PM   #15
sielm
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Could not wait longer... I had to sample it already! I sampled a bottle (5 days into aging since bottled). The aroma is somewhat lacking, it smells great but weakly. The color is amber, and it is crystal clear (except for the bottom yeast layer, which is not put into the glass of course). I have found out this might actually be a SMaSH beer (Single Malt and Single Hop), although I'm not sure if the Munton's Light DME would qualify as a "single malt", or if it's really a blend of different malts.

Anyway, the beer is not very carbed yet, it has carbonation but not as much as I want it to. I suppose it's still a little "green", but the flavour is already really good. Served this one chilled at 10ºC, a nice little head formed after pouring and I took a little pic. Really easy beer to make, and really easy beer to enjoy! I can't wait to sample this after proper aging.

Regards!

simpleale.jpg  

Old 02-21-2013, 05:29 PM   #16
progmac
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 205 Times on 170 Posts
Likes Given: 278

i think a simple beer like that is very good and more enjoyable than a lot of home brews. awesome, congrats, enjoy. you can do a lot with an ounce of hops. if you go this route again, i think members here could provide some better recommendations on your hopping schedule.

sielm Likes This 

Quick Reply