Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Simcoe Amarillo IPA, what do ya'll think

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #11
ktraver97ss
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews View Post
No. Pellets are actually less of a problem IMO. They sink, don't absorb as much beer, take up less space, and clean up is easier. Particles can be avoided by careful racking and careful siphoning with a mesh bag wrapped around your racking cane.
x2 I do not DH with whole or leaf anymore for those reasons, too messy.
Kegged/bottled #1-Nut Brown #2-American Wheat IPA #3-Templetons Rye Barleywine #4-Belgian Wheat Wine #5-Belgian Wit

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 12:01 PM   #12
dickproenneke
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Update:
Here is the recipe for a 5gallon batch I ended up brewing 2wks ago.

3.3# Muntons Extra Light LME (Late)
2# Muntons Extra Light DME (Late)
1.5# Muntons Extra Light DME
1.25# Dextrose (Late)
10oz Briess Caramel 20
8oz Briess Wheat DME

60min .5oz Columbus
30min 1oz Amarillo
15min 1oz Amarillo
8min 1.5 Amarillo
30 steep 2oz Simcoe
DH 7days 2oz Simcoe, .5oz Amarillo, .5 Columbus

WLP001/1000ml yeast starter pitched after 24hrs

Fermented at 67degF for 7days; Raised temp to 69/70degF for the next 7 days. I will leave this in the bucket for another week @ 69/70 before DH.

OG came in at 1.069, which was a little higher than I expected. Checked the gravity last night and to my surprise it finished at 1.012! The sample smelled was divine, so I couldn't resist a little taste... Even very young, flat and without the DH addition, this beer is light years beyond any other brew that I've made. SWMBO agreed too (and she certainly doesn't hold back when something is not quite right either).

The in-yo-face citrusy hops flavor profile was exactly what I was going for with this highish ABV west coast inspired IPA. The simcoe hops add just the right amount of dank pine notes without being overwhelming. My only regret is not adding a full lb of Caramel 20 to balance the bitterness a bit.

Overall I am very impressed with this beer and appreciate the help I received from HBT'ers like Bobbrews and others while developing this recipe.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:35 AM   #13
cm02WS6
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Update us when this is ready. A recipe endorsed by bobbrews always gets my attention. I may brew this soon, but scale down to 2.5 gallon batch.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:44 PM   #14
dickproenneke
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm02WS6 View Post
Update us when this is ready. A recipe endorsed by bobbrews always gets my attention. I may brew this soon, but scale down to 2.5 gallon batch.
Will do. I'm getting so antsy waiting on this one, but I just know it'll be worth it. 3 more days on the DH and then BOTTLING!!!!!
bottled: Sim'arillo IPA, Stout, BM's Centennial Blonde, Belgian Blonde, Citra'rillo APA, Saison, Mt. Hood Blonde

Old 12-02-2012, 01:02 AM   #15
dickproenneke
Recipes 

Bottling went pretty smoothly today. The hardest part was avoiding the hop particles in suspension while racking to my bottling bucket. I used a big 5 gallon paint strainer bag on the end of my auto siphon. It took a bit of tweaking with the bag positioning until the beer started flowing freely and without tiny air bubbles. I ended up losing only a 1/2 gallon to trub/dry hops. I primed with 4.4oz of dextrose and ended up bottling 24 bombers and 4 12ozers. My plan is to try a 12oz at 2,3 and 4 weeks to see how the carbonation is developing.

Ok, now for the good part... Tasting!
In the midst of racking to the bottling bucket I manage to set aside an 8oz taster for myself. My first impression was overwhelmingly positive, even without carbonation. This beer just oozes a delicious sweet grapefruit aroma. The tangerine and piney flavors of Simcoe really come through on the first sip. Bitterness is aggressive but not unpleasant, which is very appropriate for this style and very much what I was looking for in this west coast style ipa. I was concerned that the finished beer would end up tasting thin, due to the fact that it finished at 1.012. To my surprise it has a silky body and just enough residual sweetness to play nice with all of those hop... I'll be counting the days until I get to give this beer a try again in a couple weeks. I'll follow up with photos next time.

bottled: Sim'arillo IPA, Stout, BM's Centennial Blonde, Belgian Blonde, Citra'rillo APA, Saison, Mt. Hood Blonde

Quick Reply