Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Sierra nevada torpedo clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2010, 02:16 AM   #31
eanmcnulty
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcory77 View Post
OK....looks like no one is going to reply, so I tweeked this recipe for a full boil. Just finished brewing it. We will see how it turns out. I will post the recipe if anyone is interested. This is my first non-kit brew, so I am crossing my fingers. It sure smelled good!!!!!!
Good luck! Id love to see your recipe. How long will you primary? Secondary? Dry-hop? Do you have a fermentation chamber? Or how do you keep the temp steady?
Can't wait to hear about it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2010, 05:46 AM   #32
Mongrel
Recipes 

Liked 176 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcory77 View Post
OK....looks like no one is going to reply, so I tweeked this recipe for a full boil. Just finished brewing it. We will see how it turns out. I will post the recipe if anyone is interested. This is my first non-kit brew, so I am crossing my fingers. It sure smelled good!!!!!!
Alright, I'm going to promise to reply to this down the road. I love Torpedo, but at the moment I'm buying the 24 oz'ers of it for the awesome bottles...and it's only $2.40 at Bi-Mart right now. So, when that deal is over, I'm going to be doing this, but I probably won't have the secondary patience you do. I'll try, but I can't promise that level of commitment.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:11 PM   #33
tcory77
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Ok, here is what I did.

Full Boil Recipe

Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Boil Size: 6 Gallons
Batch Size: 5 Gallons
Yeast: Wyeast 1056 California Ale

1/2 lb. crystal 60L (Steeped)
1/4 lb. crystal 120L (Steeped)
7 lbs. light DME

Hop Schedule (pellets in hop bag)
1 oz. Magnum (60')
1 tsp Irishh Moss (15')
1 oz. Crystal (5')
1 oz. Magnum (5')

0.5 oz. Magnum (DH)
0.5 oz. Crystal (DH)
0.5 oz. Citra (DH)

I put the steeping grains in when I put the water in and light the fire. I remove the steeping grains when the water hits 174 degree (at least 30 minutes of time in the water). Bring to a boil, turn gas off, add DME, bring to a boil and start my hop schedule. I cool with an immersion chiller and a pre-chiller I built.

It is fermenting and smelling great right now. I will keep in the primary about 4 weeks, dry hopping the last week. No secondary. I don't have a fermentation chamber. I keep it in a shower that doesn't get used and the temp stays pretty consistant around 70-71 degrees. It doesn't touch an outside wall, so I think it helps to create a more consistant temp. Tastybrew.com calculated this at 66 IBUs which was pretty close to Sierra Nevada's 65 IBUs, so we will see. I don't really try to "clone" beers, I just go for the general style or thought of what a beer is. If I get close, great, if I don't and it still tastes good, great!!!!! I knew I wanted a pale ale or an IPA this time since my most recent IPA just ran out.

I'll keep this thread updated with my progress.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:50 AM   #34
tcory77
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Ok........I dry hopped today. It looks and smells great. Just wanted to get an update out. I will be kegging this next weekend. Can't wait to give it a taste!!!!!

Old 01-03-2011, 09:33 PM   #35
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 17

tcory77 - How did this turn out?

I am trying to lure my brother into home brewing and torpedo is his favorite. Were you impressed? let down?

Thanks!

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 01-03-2011, 11:14 PM   #36
tcory77
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Funny you ask.....I just tapped this keg a few days ago. I was wanting to take a pic of my beer and an actual torpedo and then expalin my difference. I will still do that in a few days, but I'll give you my quick thoughts on it.

My beer is not torpedo, but it is fantastic. I don't think it is quite as bitter as torpedo and also has more citrus notes. The aroma is great, the tastes is great, just different than torpedo. Definately something to build on. For starters torpedo is 7.2% ABV and I think mine calculated to something like 5.5%, so I am betting that led to differences from the get go. I do have to say I am not let down at all. It is a great beer that I am really going to enjoy all winter (or maybe for a short time this winter if I don't slow down on hitting the keg!!!!!!) It is different but really good and I will definately tweek this moving forward.

I will post some pics for side by side comparison and describe the taste a little better in a few days once I have the beers in front of me.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:09 PM   #37
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Very cool - glad you liked how it turned out. Well, just so you know I have a clone recipe that I was considering trying from BYO magazine (looks similar but some subtle but possibly key differences). I will post the recipe below. Sounds like the brew you did is worth trying, but I may run with this recipe first if I can get my brother to buy haha!

Looking forward to your side by side when you get to it. Enjoy the keg! I rocked a porter keg this holiday real quick, so I hear ya.

I am an extract guy for now, but they have the partial mash and AG version too.

1lb 5oz. pale malt
11 oz carmel 60L
5lbs Light DME (early)
2lbs 6oz light LME (late addition - final 15 minutes)
1.2 oz of 14% 17AAu Magnum Hops (60)
1 oz Magnum (5)
1 oz crystal hops (dry hop)
.67 oz (19 grams) magnum hops (dry hop)
.67 oz (19 grams) crystal hops (dry hop)
.67 oz (19 grams) Citra hops (dry hop)

yeast recc is WLP001 or Wyeast 1056 or fermentis US-o5

Says to get the hops right you need to boil 4 gallons of wort. 3qts of water at 152F for 45 mins (grain steep) and add water to make 4 gallons. Boil is for 90 minutes and add water if water volume drops below 3.5 gals. Dry hop 10 days to 2 weeks.

I probably won't start this one for a bit, I have two fermenting and one on deck, plan to start an arrogant bastard clone tonight. But when I do get to this in the next few weeks I will post back. When I do I plan to do the recipe exactly as above (4 gallons), not a full boil.

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 01-04-2011, 02:33 PM   #38
tcory77
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

That looks great. I am betting that version will be closer than mine for sure. I saw it but chose to do my own thing because I like doing full boils, I try to keep my DME/LME and hop amounts in rounded numbers (just easier to buy and use all of it), but those different procedures and the smaller boil will probably treat you right. And let's face it, if you can get your bro to pay for it, it is a no brainer!!!!!!!!

I would definately give your recipe a look before mine. I will tweek and report back to this thread.

Oh.....I am also planning a Black IPA with this base recipe!!!!!!!!! The hop combo is fantastic.

Best of luck and please report back!!!!!!

Old 01-04-2011, 04:14 PM   #39
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Very cool - be sure to let us know about the black IPA too - sounds very intersting.

I hear you on the rounded numbers too - I am going to have to do a few mystery brews if these random hop amounts keep showing up Or a hop refridgerator!

I prefer the full boils too. I usually do the full boil no matter what, since I like me some hops!

Will report back when I boil this one up

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 01-05-2011, 02:27 PM   #40
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Also - AHS has a clone for this. I think from what I read about the clone is that it was close, but there was only one review on their site. I started the Arrogant bastard clone from AHS last night. That wort tasted really good. If that kit turns out well, I might get another one of those and the torpedo....

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Quick Reply