The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Sierra nevada torpedo clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2010, 01:08 AM   #1
gfd622
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Sierra nevada torpedo clone

Hey all

I'm rather new at this brewing thing, though I have a little over 100 gallons under my belt (and around my waistline). Tonight was a great night in terms of success, so thought I'd share that here.

I brew a lot of IPA's and Sierra Nevada ales, as SWMBO really likes those types. My specialty is 60' and simple sierra nevada pale ale, but lately I've explored a few new recipes simply by doing small variations on my ingredients. I don't use software or any of that, I simply modify my base and hops schedule according to labels and best guess.

Tonight I gave the SWMBO a blind taste test - my sierra nevada torpedo ale vs the real thing. Poured both into glasses, the color and clarity was perfect. Head was good on both. After tasting, my brew won the contest, and needless to say the SWMBO wants more. I made a Sierra Nevada porter at the same time which I really like as well.

Here is the recipe I used for this:

Sierra Nevada Torpedo extract clone:

1/2 lb crystal 60L
1/2 lb 2-row pale ale
7 lb light DME (I buy bulk 55 lb from midwest)

Additions and Hops schedule:
1.5 oz magnum (60')
1 tsp irish moss (15')
1 oz crystal (5')
1 oz magnum (5')

0.5 oz magnum (dry)
0.5 oz crystal (dry)
0.5 oz citra (dry) - note, I had to buy 6 oz of this hops - so it's stored in the freezer)

Yeast is Safeals S04 (blue packet - I like dry yeast, it's easy)

I brewed it for 15 days in primary, 2 months in secondary. FG was 1.008

It's a great beer - nice flavor - good alcohol content.

This home brewing thing is great

Dave

Old 02-28-2010, 12:58 PM   #2
Greyhound
Blackjack Brewing Co.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Thanks for sharing. Pale Ales and IPA's are my favorites, too. I've never had SN Torpedo, but RateBeer gives it a 97, so it must be outstanding. I'm going to pick up a sixer at my next opportunity, then try your recipe.

"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

"It is what it is." -Erich Fried

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2010, 01:05 PM   #3
Greyhound
Blackjack Brewing Co.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Did you mash the 2-row?

Old 02-28-2010, 01:56 PM   #4
gfd622
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhound View Post
Did you mash the 2-row?
Sorry, I'm still new at this, and frankly I like extract brewing (I have the equipment, it's very easy for me, and the beer tastes good), so I don't now all the intricasies of beer lingo, but I'll try to answer this.

Assuming that "mash" means to put the grains in a "tea bag" and steep them at 165 degrees for about 20 minutes or so, then yes, I did that. It's extract brewing (as always) using grains for some extra flavor. I mix the grains (60L and 2-row) in a grain sack and place in 165 degree water for 20 minutes. I don't take gravity measurements after brewing since with extract brews I always have at least 7 lb of extract so the initial gravity is always very close to the same (and easy to hit). So, I don't know what my grains do - but they do give color prior to extract addition.

For all my sierra nevada recipes (extract mind you), I find that the base is typically the same or very close for all (usually just a 60L, 1/2 lb). The grains for flavor are very simple (something dark for the porter, 2-row for torpedo, nothing for pale ale beyond 60L). The hops are the difference, but in all cases the hops give a good flavor - I have yet to do a bad sierra nevada clone.

My original recipe was from a store in St. Louis, and I think it was an actual sierra nevada clone (just the pale ale, from the brewers at sierra nevada). Torpedo I made up a bit using the label to see the grains and hops used (and reading threads and modifying or combining or whatever). It works well.

Citra hops is hard to find. I found one supplier and I had to buy 8 oz of it (or some absurd amount). I broke it up into 1/2 oz packs and store it in my freezer. It worked OK. Made it a little more expensive, but it's still only around $30 per 2 cases, which is a good price for the higher end beers (I could save more with all grain, but I'm OK with extract).

Dave

Old 02-28-2010, 03:12 PM   #5
Greyhound
Blackjack Brewing Co.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks. It looks like you steeped the 2-row. I hadn't heard of steeping 2-row, but I'm relatively new at this too. I figured since you posted in the Extract Brewing forum, that's probably what you did, but I wasn't sure.

This recipe is definitely on my short list of recipes to try. By the way, Northern Brewer sells Citra pellet hops by the ounce (in case you ever run out).

Old 03-01-2010, 06:31 PM   #6
rebeltruce
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

New here as well, but want to give your recipe a try.....I'm assuming this is a standard five gallon batch.

Grains steeped in 2.5 gallons of water, brought to boil, add the DME, back to boil, Hops added per your schedule. Cool down, move to primary top off to 5 gallons, pitch yeast and let her rip.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:50 PM   #7
gtpro
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

2 row generally isnt steeped, its a base grain used for mashing, and youre not getting anything out of that half pound that you wouldnt get from another .25 lbs of DME, probably less.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:59 PM   #8
dc_x
Recipes 

I was trying to make a similar beer and used 1 lb of crystal 60, but mine came out too sweet. I will drop down to 1/2 lb next time.

Just curious - why use US-04 instead of US-05? I've never used 04, but I have used 05 and it is a very clean yeast. Isn't 04 the British ale yeast?

Old 03-01-2010, 09:13 PM   #9
alcibiades
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

wow, 1.008 is really good attenuation. I didnt know S-04 had that kind of sugar converting prowess

Old 03-02-2010, 02:24 AM   #10
gfd622
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sorry, been away a few days - didn't have time to respond.

As for the 2-row, I really had no idea. I found it in a recipe here on this site (not a partial mash, but an extract recipe), so I just treated it like all other grains. If it does nothing, no worries, leave it out. It costs a whopping 0.50, so I didn't really care either way. Like I said, all my other sierra nevada just use the 60L (except porter does have one or two dark grains, don't remember right off, no problem).

As for the S-04 vs S-05, I used the yeast I had lying around. I have always liked S-04 (it works great in my basement environment, every beer I have done with it has been superb, so I use it for almost everything). S-05 is good too, and it may be worth it I don't know. Most of my flavors come from the hops (I really only do IPA's and hoppy beers), so the yeast is there just to make alcohol from sugar, nothing more.

And yes, sorry to leave it off, but it was a standard 5 gallon batch. I am a glass fermenter guy (biochemist, I like watching yeast grow), so all of my things are done in 5 gallon batches. I don't have a pot big enough for a full boil, so I do a 3 gallon boil and add the rest later.

I'm debating on my next one to leave it in the primary, and just simply add the hops for dry hopping directly to the primary. I don't really want to mess much with something that's working though, and I'd like to free up my primary (I have a few, but I don't have 4), so I don't know. I read on here mixed reviews with this, and that it would require more hops if done in the primary. We'll see - I'll post it if I do keep everything in the primary (and it works)

Good luck all

Dave

Quick Reply