The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > should i be worried?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2010, 03:26 PM   #1
tnbrewer371
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default should i be worried?

so i brewed a pumpkin ale last night and poured it on a pretty big s-05 cake from a previous american amber ale. four hours after pitching it the airlock was going crazy and since i had to go out of town for a couple days i figured i should attach a hose to the stem on the airlock and make a blowoff tube since i was not able to sit around and babysit. Just asked SWMBO what kind of activity I was getting and she said it wasnt doing anything, do i have any reason to be concerned about this batch? I mean it was rocking out like crazy untill i pulled the airlock capper off and put a tube on the airlock stem?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2010, 06:28 PM   #2
Justibone
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Every fermentation is different.

RDWHAHB.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:40 AM   #3
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

No, probably close to being finished fermenting. Check the gravity reading to find out for sure.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:44 AM   #4
sempf
Hellbranch Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I've done this a number fo times and haven't ever had a problem. Once the tube is in place, a lot of the CO2 can escape easily, so unless you get a visible vapor trap in a bend in the hose it will look like nothing is happening anyway.

I agree with Justibone. RDWHAHB.

Hellbranch Brewing
Too poor for a cool logo

Old 11-29-2010, 05:53 AM   #5
tnbrewer371
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by avidhomebrewer View Post
No, probably close to being finished fermenting. Check the gravity reading to find out for sure.
I guess I just dont see how it could be done in just a few hours? the OG was 1.072? I guess im just stumped as to why one minute I have a very active fermentation and now it seems as if I dont have anything when all I did was go from airlock to blow off tube? I havent talked to SWMBO again about whats going on and will update when I talk to her in the morning? any other suggestions or help?

Old 11-29-2010, 06:12 AM   #6
RobBug
Recipes 

You could have a leak now. I wouldn't worry.

Bubblehead Brewing - Bangor, WA submariners' Brew Blogs
---
"The hardest part of all-grain brewing is arguing about it on the interwebs ;-)" - tjpfeister

Old 11-29-2010, 06:12 AM   #7
Wyldjim
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sempf View Post
I've done this a number fo times and haven't ever had a problem. Once the tube is in place, a lot of the CO2 can escape easily, so unless you get a visible vapor trap in a bend in the hose it will look like nothing is happening anyway.

I agree with Justibone. RDWHAHB.
+1

Don't worry. More to do with the blow off tube. I think you may have saved your marriage though. Blown airlock = Pumpkin, flinging monkey poo fight.

I'm sure it's fine. Pumpkin would be a beer I'd want to keep an eye on just because you might get an explosive fermentation.

When fermentation dies down, I would stick airlock back on. Just me though.

What pumpkin recipe did you use and where'd you get your pumpkin?

I had a pumpkin porter planned. The only pie pumpkins I found ended up tasting terrible. I'll have to grow my own again next year.

If I have time to be online, I have time for a beer. If I have time for a beer, I have time for 2:) ...therefore consider that anything I post may just be drunken ramblings. My apologies in advance:)

Old 11-29-2010, 06:17 AM   #8
TANSTAAFB
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 12

DON'T PANIC!!!!

Don't brew then split town to worry

Now that you are busy not panicking, I am sure your beer is fine. It sounds as if rather than REPLACING the airlock with a blowoff tube you took the little cap and thimble off and attached the tube to the little nipple sticking out inside the airlock that is still attached to the fermenter, yes?

Probably just a bad seal, tube slipped, etc. I use a short length of 3/8 siphon tubing, shove it forcibly and with lots of swearing through the grommet or bung, and run that into a growler of star san. With that much swearing never any leaks, bubbles like crazy. Except when it doesn't. Bubble I mean.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:21 AM   #9
tnbrewer371
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyldjim View Post
+1

Don't worry. More to do with the blow off tube. I think you may have saved your marriage though. Blown airlock = Pumpkin, flinging monkey poo fight.

I'm sure it's fine. Pumpkin would be a beer I'd want to keep an eye on just because you might get an explosive fermentation.

When fermentation dies down, I would stick airlock back on. Just me though.

What pumpkin recipe did you use and where'd you get your pumpkin?

I had a pumpkin porter planned. The only pie pumpkins I found ended up tasting terrible. I'll have to grow my own again next year.
I formulated the recipe myself and would be happy to share, I used canned pumpkin as it seemed the easiest option outside of researching the ideal species of pumpkin for this sort of undertaking. I formulated the recipe based on taking ideas from several recipes and techniques I had found and using some things I have had good success with me in my brewing experiences. I found that according to Beertools, outside of the specialty beer (all inclusive guidelines) it most closely fits a Baltic Porter style guidelines so this may be what you are looking for, I can post it now or I can send you a pm or update the thread here in a month when I get around to tasting it. Not sure if im gonna stick it in a secondary to let it blend a little or not. to be honest ive never even had a pumpkin ale ever, tried to pick up a DFH punkin ale 4 pack but couldnt find any this year, but everyone raves about this style this time of year so thought I would try my hand at it, I really think this may be a recipe for success with this style though, either way let me know....

Old 11-29-2010, 06:26 AM   #10
tnbrewer371
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am planning on sticking the airlock back on after I get home tuesday after I take a gravity reading, and if fermentation has died down, SWMBO isnt the biggest fan of this wonderful hobby so hate annoying her sticking her head in the brew closet everytime I call her, she will give me an update in the morning though hopefully and let me know if we have any activity, at this point im thinking it has to be a leak in the blowoff tube somewhere, dont know how it could go from by far the most instantly active quick fermentation i have seen yet (20 batches so far, still new)to nothing in the course of minutes, I mean it took off way way quicker than my 1.092 IIPA that I made a half gallon 1056 starter for, insane fermentation rate in under 4 hrs from pitching......just dont get it. if it is a leak should I be concerned? I mean people still do open fermentations right?

Quick Reply