Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Should I lager or not?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2009, 04:29 AM   #11
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevoster View Post
Howdy,

Just about to stick on an extract kit (Muntens Gold Continental Pilsner) and I thought it was a lager but the instructions say to place in a warm area for primary fermentation then afer bottling to place in a warm area again for 2 days before moving to a cool place for at least 21 days. Does this make sense? I thought that for a lager I'd have to put the whole lot in the fridge for primary and secondary? Also, when they say "cool place" do they mean fridge? Circa 4 degrees celcius?

Speedy response greatly appreciated - just finished bottling 2 stout batches (one choc one plain) and want to get the next two batches down this evening.

Thanks!!
Steve.
Not to speedy, but a response anyway. To properly accomplish a lager, one must have two dedicated refidgerators or freezers with controllers. One for primary, and one for lagering.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2009, 07:39 PM   #12
Stevoster
Recipes 

Hey, I have a dedicated fridge but I'm not sure how accurate the thermostat is - I'm guessing it is around 2-3 degrees celcius. Does it need to be more precise than this?

Primary:
1. Smugglers Ale
2. Smugglers Ale with grated ginger.

Secondary:
Nothing.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:00 PM   #13
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevoster View Post
Hey, I have a dedicated fridge but I'm not sure how accurate the thermostat is - I'm guessing it is around 2-3 degrees celcius. Does it need to be more precise than this?
You know, they were lagering in caves, and cellars not too many decades ago, and many of us ghetto lager in our garages relying on only ambient temps (and I won an honorable mention for one of those.)

This isn't nuclear physics, it's making beer. You only need to be precise if you are particularly anal...but otherwise, cold + lager yeast = Beer.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-25-2009, 08:00 PM   #14
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudbuster View Post
Not to speedy, but a response anyway. To properly accomplish a lager, one must have two dedicated refidgerators or freezers with controllers. One for primary, and one for lagering.
Meh...see my comment above.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-25-2009, 08:15 PM   #15
Stevoster
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
This isn't nuclear physics, it's making beer. You only need to be precise if you are particularly anal...but otherwise, cold + lager yeast = Beer.
And this is why I love brewing! It seems almost difficult to ruin a brew once everything is clean.

Primary:
1. Smugglers Ale
2. Smugglers Ale with grated ginger.

Secondary:
Nothing.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:34 AM   #16
schwarzk
Recipes 

So for a total beginner here, is it correct to sum up and say that if your kit comes with "Lager" yeast, then you should ferment at a low temp, and if it comes with "Ale" yeast you should ferment at normal temps?

Presumably you just follow the directions that come with it, but I haven't found a place where you can see those ahead of time. We don't have extra fridge room (or a garage), so I don't want to buy a kit we won't be able to make--that would break my heart!

Old 11-30-2009, 03:46 AM   #17
Schwoopty
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwarzk View Post
So for a total beginner here, is it correct to sum up and say that if your kit comes with "Lager" yeast, then you should ferment at a low temp, and if it comes with "Ale" yeast you should ferment at normal temps?

Presumably you just follow the directions that come with it, but I haven't found a place where you can see those ahead of time. We don't have extra fridge room (or a garage), so I don't want to buy a kit we won't be able to make--that would break my heart!
You would be correct in your assumption. If you dont have a temperature controlled area in your house then you need to stick with ale recipes until you do. Otherwise your beers will come out poorly (at least the lager beers).

I actually just got my temp controlled place set up. I got an old fridge off of craigslist and bought a temperature control gauge from midwest brewer for about $75. For that small investment I can now brew a lot more beers than I ever could without this. Aside from a bigger/nicer brew pot, a fermentation control area is the best thing to invest in for starting to brew IMO.

On Deck - Celebration Ale Clone
Primary - Itchy Nut Brown Ale
Kegged - S&S Kolsch, Lagunitas Censored Ale Clone
Bottled - Irish Draught Ale, Chocolate Cinnamon Stout, Alaskan Amber Clone

Old 11-30-2009, 12:30 PM   #18
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I'm particularly anal..

Quick Reply