should i be concern'd?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strider

Reaction score
Checked on my batch this morning, and it the ferment. lock was one big spike of overflown foam. I didn't think it would make it up there cause brewing 5 g in 6g carboy, but I was wrong:( I attacked a blow off tube this morning. However, I had a mild bleach solution in the ferment lock. I'm a bit concern'd that has now gone into my beer. I'm hoping since the presure was out, it didn't, but I'm a little concern'd. Should I be?

It will be fine. Now you know to use a blowoff tube next time :) Once the krausen subsides, you can just reattach the airlock.

cool:) Thanks. Heh, it also makes a somewhat amusing picture. If I can find where i left my transfer cable I'll post it.

Found it.

Oops
oops.jpg

Danka, on all the comments on pic.
This is my first batch and it's not following a recipie. It's 3.3 hopped dark, 3.3 dark, 1/2lb chocolate malt, and 1oz chinook. I like my dark beers. Bock and doppelbock are some of my favorites... mmmm. Not to mention stouts and porters. I'm guessing hte dextrin (if i'm not mistaken that dark extracts have a lot more dextrin) in the lme will make for a very sweet drink this batch. I don't have a clue what the hops will do. I think I should have gone for a lower alpha content.

that5 is what mine is looking like right now and I am wondering if I should get a blow off tube or just let it go like that? Or do i just wash the airlock off with some one step? I have a 6 gal carboy with a 6.5 stopper, what size tubing is that?

1 1/4" tubing will fit that nicely. What I used for mine. As for if u need to or not.... I have no idea. I would be inclined to if it was still bubbling up, for 1) mess 2) i would think when the ferment starts to die back, some of those fluids that have been exposed might go back down, but that is 100 % guess, my 2 cents. This is my first so I really don't know. Jsut a guess.

Back