Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Selecting a Stout for pops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2008, 02:29 PM   #11
JoMarky
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD2000GT View Post
I have not made any stout kits yet (a porter is my next batch and I will move up to a stout next), but I am very familiar with the BJ's Brewery stout you mentioned. It is a sweet stout IMO - not like a Guiness Stout. More of chocolate/coffee overtones and not a bitter bite.

Maybe someone out there familiar with the better stout kits can use this info to help track a similar kit down.
beeradvocate says the tatonka is an RIS, which should have some level of hop bitterness present. HotTrailer, are you looking for a partial mash recipe or a extract with steeping grains recipe? Also are you capable of doing full boils or only partial boils?

If partial mash then give NukeBrewer's recipe a shot. What he means by side "wort" is a hop tea. When you boil hops in a wort with a high gravity, such as an RIS, the percent of the alpha acids that get isomerized decreases, so to prevent this you boil the hops in only water in a second pot so you get the full bittering effect you need for an RIS. Just keep in mind an RIS is a big beer, its going to take a lot of yeast, and a longer time than a normal stout to be "ready"

Edit: After reading brewtools post and the link I would consider subbing some Black patent and crystal malts for the biscuit, I was going to suggest this before but I'm not a fan of biscuit so didn't want to be biased.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2008, 02:34 PM   #12
mmb
FNG
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3207 Times on 3109 Posts
Likes Given: 181

BJ's rates this beer as an Russian Imperial Stout with an ABV of 8% and to my taste it has quite a bit of caramel sweetness along with some raisin/plum fruit notes from Crystal 120L or Special B with a nice roasty bite.

Midwest has some excellent kits and I know Austin Homebrew Shop has some good kits as well. Maybe give them a call and see what they recommend if you can't get that information at your LHBS.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:54 PM   #13
HotTrailerBrew
Recipes 

Thanks for the info everyone. I'll take a look at the other forum too.

Jomarky- I have steeped grains, but haven't done partial mash yet. And i can full boil.

Old 10-23-2008, 03:25 PM   #14
JoMarky
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That recipe in the link looks good, its all-grain so if you need help converting it to extract just let me know.

Old 10-23-2008, 03:48 PM   #15
Roasty
Recipes 

If you father could stand a good chocolate/coffee stout, I would recommend this one, created by user McAustin. I brewed it and am very happy with it.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:43 PM   #16
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2699 Times on 1605 Posts
Likes Given: 5850

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriktlupus View Post
i believe he means to use a late addition on the extracts, usually 15min left in boil.
Well, what I meant was, to boil about 1/4 lb of extract in 1 gallon of water in a different pot to get better hop utilization, but the extract late method would work too. I'm not sure which is more effective, though.

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 11-01-2008, 12:44 AM   #17
HotTrailerBrew
Recipes 

Well I reread all the suggestions and then asked my dad what flavors he likes in the stout. His answer was chocoloate, so i decided to try AHS Double Chocolate Stout. We'll be brewing that one up on sunday, and i think i might put McAustin's recipe in my folder for later. Thanks again

Old 11-03-2008, 12:34 AM   #18
BeerPressure
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Austin Home Brew's sam smith oatmeal stout clone is excellent. I will make that one again.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:24 AM   #19
HotTrailerBrew
Recipes 

I just cracked open a bottle of the Double Chocolate Stout from Austin Homebrew Supply, MMMM was it good. My dad loved it too. Thanks Forrest, i'll definitely be purchasing some more kits from you.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:29 AM   #20
thataintchicken
GUSTATUS SIMILIS PULLUS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1274 Times on 1265 Posts
Likes Given: 8

yum.
if you have a bottle of that laying about, I'll swap it for a bottle of my Terminator Stout clone

your neighbor to the north.

Ginger, how long should I boil these crab legs for? I want them to fall off the bone just like Texas pork ribs. - Ace Club

I'm a meat hunter. - AZ_IPA

Their new commercial sounds lime the crazy fiat music.- Zuljin

Quick Reply