seems as soon as i brew i am ready again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just made another supplier's version of the Belgian White, and I'm here to tell you that it went over quite well.

Personally, I get much more satisfaction out of recipes that I craft myself. That's why I purchased ProMash. The two batches that I did last weekend were made with the assistance of that program, and I expect them both to turn out quite well. I dunno, I've never had the desire to use a kit. Either a brew from an existing recipe (Papazian, et al) and doctor it to suit my tastes, or I forge my own within stylistic guidelines. Then, it's really YOURS. I get so much satisfaction of brewing something that I designed...even if it isn't the "optimal" time-tested recipe. Same goes for cooking...often, recipes are easier, but dreaming up my own is much more rewarding.

Hefeweizen's are easy to make and generally give a good result. Consider buying the yeast at a LHBS if you are close to one. I am sure they have lots of experience in shipping yeasts but I would trust the storage conditions of a good LHBS first.

Evan! said:
Personally, I get much more satisfaction out of recipes that I craft myself. That's why I purchased ProMash. The two batches that I did last weekend were made with the assistance of that program, and I expect them both to turn out quite well. I dunno, I've never had the desire to use a kit. Either a brew from an existing recipe (Papazian, et al) and doctor it to suit my tastes, or I forge my own within stylistic guidelines. Then, it's really YOURS. I get so much satisfaction of brewing something that I designed...even if it isn't the "optimal" time-tested recipe. Same goes for cooking...often, recipes are easier, but dreaming up my own is much more rewarding.

creating my own recipes sounds fun. i am doing kits at first to learn some the differences in some of the ingredients, especially bittering, aroma and flavoring hops...

but in the future, once i have a nice stock of home brew to hold me, i will probably go off and try to create something of my own...

i agree something created will be quite rewarding, however so far i am having a blast just doing kits and developing good techniques...

SteveM said:
Hefeweizen's are easy to make and generally give a good result. Consider buying the yeast at a LHBS if you are close to one. I am sure they have lots of experience in shipping yeasts but I would trust the storage conditions of a good LHBS first.

thanks for the hefe comments...

i can buy my yeast locally, which is probably a good idea.

last brew i did was a Double Chocolate Stout from AHBS and I ordered the Munton's dry yeast and ice pack. The HOT, MELTED ice pack, by the time it arrived in Dallas, was probably doing more damage than good to the yeast. However, the yeast was good and the Stout fermented...

Wait till you have a good 5-6 different brews laying around. When I first started I was brewing like a madman. I have like 6 cases of beer laying around now so my output is dictated more by the number of empties I have to refil. I'm doing a batch every couple weeks now compared to once every 6-7 days :)

sirsloop said:
Wait till you have a good 5-6 different brews laying around. When I first started I was brewing like a madman. I have like 6 cases of beer laying around now so my output is dictated more by the number of empties I have to refil. I'm doing a batch every couple weeks now compared to once every 6-7 days :)

i have reached the point also where my output dictates the empties i have available. i need to get some more bottles, because if i do create my own recipe and it sucks, i still wanna have some beer available... :mug:

Its definitly nice to have at least 150 bottles on hand.... you'll always have enough to leave 4 cases laying around while you work on drinking the 5th and 6the case :)

I actually just picked up 12 22oz Fischer Grolsh style, and another 10 16oz Grolsh bottles. I originially thought they would be a pain in the butt, but man... they are super cool!! If you can find some I would definitly recommend them. Capping gets old...

sirsloop said:
Its definitly nice to have at least 150 bottles on hand.... you'll always have enough to leave 4 cases laying around while you work on drinking the 5th and 6the case :)

I actually just picked up 12 22oz Fischer Grolsh style, and another 10 16oz Grolsh bottles. I originially thought they would be a pain in the butt, but man... they are super cool!! If you can find some I would definitly recommend them. Capping gets old...

i've already cleaned out two liquor stores, searching for more now. :ban:

dcam1739cj8.jpg

need about another 16-20 bottles to complete 15 gallons of bottling. :D

Do you have to replace the rubber gaskets with every fill, or do you find that they last a few fills/dozen fills/forever?

marshman said:
Do you have to replace the rubber gaskets with every fill, or do you find that they last a few fills/dozen fills/forever?

i've only read that they need replacing about every 3 bottlings...

i have only used all of my flip tops (grolsch and LHBS bought) once each, thus far.

if anyone can commit futher on this please do...

btw, i will ask the same question here...
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=12704

Exo said:
I've heard 7-8 times without issue.

well thanks, that's even better information than i had read...

and thanks Exo, for answering my questions, you are always helpful man...

appreciate it dude... :mug:

btw, i am drinking some paulaner hefe and some blue moon tonight. i have had them both before, but the SWMBO likes the hefe and i think i am preferring it more also, even though i like the orange/corriander of the blue moon...

the reports on the vanilla porter say the vanilla extract is chemical tasting...

the oatmeal stout will be done, but i have a double chocolate stout in the primary at the moment, so the hefe is gaining ground... :mug:

marshman said:

After 4 brews in them mine are just showing a little wear. In a few batches I'll drop the $2.50 for 100 new gaskets and replace them.

BrewProject said:
well thanks, that's even better information than i had read...

and thanks Exo, for answering my questions, you are always helpful man...

appreciate it dude... :mug:

Just remember, most of my answers are my memory of other posts here...I have a pretty good memory most of the time.

Exo said:
Just remember, most of my answers are my memory of other posts here...I have a pretty good memory most of the time.

from your sig, it looks like you have some good brewing experience also... :mug:

so grommet replacement every 6-8 brews seems to be the consensus..., cool.

They are cheap enough to replace...im gonna stick to 3-4 probably...

did you just go and buy the beer to get the bottles, or did you buy them as empties?

sirsloop said:
They are cheap enough to replace...im gonna stick to 3-4 probably...

did you just go and buy the beer to get the bottles, or did you buy them as empties?

i bought some amber bottles from the my LHBS, but I did buy quite a few Grolsch 4 packs, mostly for the bottles. i do however enjoy Grolsch.

Running to the store later today to purchase about 5 more 4 packs then I will be able to have 15 gallons bottled simetaneously. :rockin:

For the price of a 12 pack @ $28.50, as compared to empties @ the LHBS (12 @ 18.95), I am basically paying about 80 cents per 16 oz Grolsch... :mug:

i'm haveing the same problem..i'm constantly brewing!! well i guess it's not a problem..i enjoy it...about every 5 days i'm up till about 4 am brewing..i work 2nd shift so it's late night in the lab...my daughter gets a kick out of the fact that i set a mirror on the kitchen table so i can watch for a boil over from my computer..i'm trying to get my 4 kegs filled..maybe the problem is i drink too much...hmmm.:drunk:

revrand65 said:
i'm haveing the same problem..i'm constantly brewing!! well i guess it's not a problem..i enjoy it...about every 5 days i'm up till about 4 am brewing..i work 2nd shift so it's late night in the lab...my daughter gets a kick out of the fact that i set a mirror on the kitchen table so i can watch for a boil over from my computer..i'm trying to get my 4 kegs filled..maybe the problem is i drink too much...hmmm.:drunk:

i made that mistake on my second brew... went to the computer for no less than 3 mins and my wort went from NO BOIL to all over the stove top very quickly...

i don't walk away from the boil now. :drunk:

Hey Evan,
Tell me more about this ProMash thing.And back to the thread,I'm thinking like Brew Project that i want to master(Hardly!)the kit system for a spell and build up that 150 bottle stock before i move on to building my own recipes.

Primary...THB O'Fest
Secondary...THB Trad.Wheat
Secondary2...Patiently waiting
On deck...THB YellowDog Ale
Next on deck...THB NutBrown Ale
Buying next...Dunkelweisen

I have 2 cases of the brown 32oz flip tops, and I havent seen any ware on them at all after 4 batches in them, but my 5th and 6th batch went in kegs so.. oh and 7 is about 2 weeks from kegging :)

i bought 2 fischer's amber ales the other night... 22 oz flip top bottles...

added to the collection!!! hell yea !

Back