Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > secondary - fruit addition question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2013, 01:33 PM   #1
jlfindley74
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default secondary - fruit addition question

I have a porter extract kit brew in my primary now. I added 5lbs of figs that had soaked in brandy for months to the last 5 mins of my boil. I used a grain bag for easy management of the removal of the figs.
Then I put the figs in a blender (along with the brandy they had soaked in which I boiled to cook out the alcohol) and made a puree.
Then then puree went into the freezer.
I plan to add this puree to my secondary.
Question: do I need to thaw it out before adding it to the beer when I put it in the secondary? Does it have to be a certain temp? Are there any other "precautions" or steps I should take before adding this puree to my secondary?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 03:15 PM   #2
fatnoah
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

I've never added fruit to a beer. But I would definitely thaw it before adding it to the secondary.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:10 AM   #3
bds3
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I've added apricots, strawberries, and blueberries, all with differing success. The apricot was a canned purée but the others were frozen berries that I thawed first.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
jlfindley74
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have added fruit 2 primary and secondary is in the past but it was never frozen so I wasn't sure how to go about this. I guess I'll just throw it in the refrigerator a couple days before to let it thaw out and then maybe set it on the counter for a few hours to get to room temperature just before adding it to my secondary. Honestly, my biggest concern is how I'm going to manage to keep a bunch of sediment out of my beer if I'm adding a finally blended puree to my secondary. Hopefully it will all drop out to the bottom of the bucket and then I could just siphon above it when I bottle.

Thanks,

Quick Reply