Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Secondary fermentation = bottling?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2006, 06:08 PM   #11
Exo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Thinking that no fermentation is going on in your secondary is wrong, IMHO.

The yeast are still active and cleaning up some of their byproducts and there has to be some complex sugars left over for them to chew on.

Wasp Bitten IPA (a Walker-San clone);Cheesefood's Caramel Creme; Wee Heavy Scottish Ale;
Bottled/Conditioning:
Flyin' Hornet Pale Ale(Mirror Pond clone);Oktoberfest Ale
Drinking:
Boom-Boom Apricot Hefeweisen; Forbidden Ale;Pale-Ass Ale (SNPA Clone); Ol' Man Winter Ale
On-deck:
Dead Guy clone
Planning:
Walker's Espresso Stout; BrewPastor's Bastard Lager
Quote:
But honey, how else am I going to get enough bottles for my next batch? *burp*...*fart*

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2006, 06:17 PM   #12
Reverend JC
2500 gallons year to date
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just transfered a wheat beer over to secondary 6 days ago and there is about 2 bubbles per minute, so the yeast are feasting on something in there.

"Just because i don't care dosen't mean I don't understand." -Homer Simpson

http://www.modernmonks.com

Old 08-25-2006, 07:04 PM   #13
Monk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo
Thinking that no fermentation is going on in your secondary is wrong, IMHO.

The yeast are still active and cleaning up some of their byproducts and there has to be some complex sugars left over for them to chew on.

I agree that fermentation is going on. It's just not "secondary" fermentation. No new yeast was added. It's the same fermentation, continuing in a new vessel--thus, "secondary fermenter". That's what I meant about it being a little anal terminology thing. Some English ales and most lambics actually undergo a real "secondary fermentation" when a second strain of yeast is pitched (I think at bottling time?). Anyway...whatever we call it, racking our ale into a new vessel and letting it continue with it's business sure makes for good brew. Cheers!

Old 08-26-2006, 01:24 AM   #14
Mishkin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
Along those lines, I've always wondered whether you need to purposely rack a little bit of trub when you're bottling, so that there's something in the bottles to ferment the priming sugars and carbonate. That's what I do...just a small amount at the end. I've worried that, after 2 weeks of sitting in secondary, there's not enough yeast suspended in the liquid to produce sufficient carbo.

Is this right? My "sensei" who taught me how to brew says he also purposely racks a little bit of trub. Thoughts?
I'm worried about this too. I put finings in with the secondary so when my beer was ready to bottle it was crystal clear. then after a week in the bottle I tried one and there was hardly any carbonation at all. Maybe I just havent left it for long enough but I'm worried that my whole batch will be undercarbonated.
None
Bottled
None
Drinking
Nothing left to drink
Planned
European Lager

Old 08-26-2006, 01:54 AM   #15
pariah
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishkin
I'm worried about this too. I put finings in with the secondary so when my beer was ready to bottle it was crystal clear. then after a week in the bottle I tried one and there was hardly any carbonation at all. Maybe I just havent left it for long enough but I'm worried that my whole batch will be undercarbonated.
As long as you put enough sugar in there and they're stored at proper temperatures, the yeast will eat and multiply until all the sugar is gone.

I put my finings in during the boil, I've never had a problem with carbonation.

Maybe you need to rethink your bottling method.

Quick Reply