Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Secondary fermentation = bottling?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2006, 02:00 AM   #1
Beer is good
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Secondary fermentation = bottling?

I hear people doing secondary fermenting, but what is the purpose? is that where you pour it from your big carboy into another one and let it sit there again, then bottle it after that?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2006, 02:26 AM   #2
Reverend JC
2500 gallons year to date
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The purpose is to further clarify the beer and get some extra age under its belt. If you were to let the beer sit in the primary to long (this time frame is debatable)then the yeast that has settled on the bottom will nolonger ferment but give the beer "off" flavors. this is why you transfer to a secondary.

"Just because i don't care dosen't mean I don't understand." -Homer Simpson

http://www.modernmonks.com

Old 08-25-2006, 02:31 AM   #3
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 361 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 96

Note "transfer," not "pour." You need to siphon (quietly) from one to the other, so that you do not oygenate the beer (which will cause off-flavors down the line). Pouring from one container to another would also stir up the trub in the primary, which would render moot the whole reason t move it in the first place.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 08-25-2006, 02:35 AM   #4
Axegod
Recipes 

Basically, you just syphon the beer into another sterilized contianer with an airlock..leaving the yeast gunk undisturbed on the bottom of the fermenter.....you do not add more yeast/sugar or anything like that to the secondary.

Having a secondary also frees up the primary for another batch !

Most people use the 1-2-3 rule..1 week in primary-2, weeks in secondary, 3 weeks in bottle.

Cheers.

On Order: nothing at all..for a few months
Thinking about: Plisner malt and saaz hops
Drinking:

Last edited by Axegod; 08-25-2006 at 02:38 AM.

Old 08-25-2006, 05:20 AM   #5
Beer is good
Recipes 

thanks guys, cleared things right up!

Old 08-25-2006, 07:26 AM   #6
pariah
Recipes 

Yeah, I use the 1-2-whenever the hell I want rule.

I don't see the need to wait 3 weeks before cracking open a bottle. I'll usually have a test or two after the first week, just to make sure things are progressing nicely, and once week two hits it's fair game. I mean, it's already five weeks old, and I'm only going to drink a small percentage of it before the third week hits anyway, so who cares?

Old 08-25-2006, 02:10 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Call it a clearing or bright tank & the problem with "secondary fermentation" goes away. Some day I'll figure out why homebrewers call it a secondary, maybe it's a hold-over from wine making.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Slowe1 Likes This 
Old 08-25-2006, 03:00 PM   #8
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Along those lines, I've always wondered whether you need to purposely rack a little bit of trub when you're bottling, so that there's something in the bottles to ferment the priming sugars and carbonate. That's what I do...just a small amount at the end. I've worried that, after 2 weeks of sitting in secondary, there's not enough yeast suspended in the liquid to produce sufficient carbo.

Is this right? My "sensei" who taught me how to brew says he also purposely racks a little bit of trub. Thoughts?

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 08-25-2006, 03:35 PM   #9
Exo

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

More yeast than you can imagine is suspended in your beer. If you have a proper racking cane you'll get a LOT of yeast that is suspended more toward the bottom.

Wasp Bitten IPA (a Walker-San clone);Cheesefood's Caramel Creme; Wee Heavy Scottish Ale;
Bottled/Conditioning:
Flyin' Hornet Pale Ale(Mirror Pond clone);Oktoberfest Ale
Drinking:
Boom-Boom Apricot Hefeweisen; Forbidden Ale;Pale-Ass Ale (SNPA Clone); Ol' Man Winter Ale
On-deck:
Dead Guy clone
Planning:
Walker's Espresso Stout; BrewPastor's Bastard Lager
Quote:
But honey, how else am I going to get enough bottles for my next batch? *burp*...*fart*

Old 08-25-2006, 05:01 PM   #10
Monk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
Call it a clearing or bright tank & the problem with "secondary fermentation" goes away. Some day I'll figure out why homebrewers call it a secondary, maybe it's a hold-over from wine making.

I try to think of it as my "secondary fermenter" rather than secondary fermentation. No new fermentation is going to begin, unless you roused the yeast or something. The same slow, endstage fermentation is continuing and you just moved it to a clean vessel. Without explaining it to myself this way, the terminology would start bugging me. Maybe I'm anal. Probably.

Quick Reply