Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Second krausen after two weeks

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2007, 10:37 PM   #1
AlecMoody
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Second krausen after two weeks

I was going to bottle my oatmeal stout today but last night a second krausen nearly the size if the first appeared. The first one formed during the first night and lasted for 3 days so I thought everything had gone to plan.. Anyone know what the deal with this is?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2007, 10:55 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

What can happen is the yeast was unable to process all of the fermentables originally. Then either the temperature changed or the few yeast cells that could handle the heavier sugars multiplied enough to finish the job. That's why we use hydrometers.

At least you missed out on a lot of bottle bombs.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-17-2007, 11:21 PM   #3
AlecMoody
Recipes 

Indeed..

We have been keeping the heat on in the house so that the beer stays around 75 degrees.. Temp shouldn't have changed. I am going to start taking hydrometer readings tomarrow. I should have done it from the start, oh well.

Quick Reply