Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Extract Brewing (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/)
-   -   sculpin clone and dryhopping concern (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/sculpin-clone-dryhopping-concern-158547/)

etoews 01-22-2010 04:42 AM

sculpin clone and dryhopping concern
hey guys and gals:

apologies if this is a duplicate of other messages but searched and wasn't able to find quite what i was looking for.

am making an extract version of this beeer and had a concern about my FG: it's been in primary for 5 days now, airlock bubbling is about once per 70-80 secs., and FG is off about 10 points from where we estimated it.

so my question: is this an ok time to transfer to secondary and dryhop? and if i do this, is there enough active yeast that is going to come along for the next ten days or so that we plan to have it in secondary that we'll get our additional 10 points?

thanks in advance for any help on this.


carnevoodoo 01-22-2010 05:36 AM

Wait it out. Let the fermentation finish. Wait until the gravity stops dropping and then go to secondary a few days after that. You're not hurting anything by waiting.

If the gravity is not dropping anymore, you could gently swirl it and move it to some place slightly warmer. We are in a bit of a cold snap (for here) and I know that I've had to keep things warmer, which is usually not a concern here. Let us know the temperature and we can probably help.

etoews 01-22-2010 05:53 AM

beer temp
right now i'm at about 65 degrees and i've got the primary carboid wrapped in a blanket. i could probably put an electric blanket on it to bring the temp up a bit, but i guess the main point here is pretty much to wait?

this is my first time doing a secondary. i usually leave the beer in the primary for 7-10 days and have had very good luck.

thanks again for your help and assistance.

Brewsmith 01-22-2010 06:50 AM

Leave it alone and try to get it a little warmer. I'd shoot for 69-70 this late in the primary. The yeast work a little slower at lower temps. By warming them up a little you'll help them finish a bit easier.

etoews 01-22-2010 06:57 AM

thank you. the primary carboid is already at the warmest place in my house and it's at 65 degrees. i'm thinking about throwing an electric blanket on it for the remainder of fermentation at low temp but have never heard of anybody doing this. good idea or bad?

Shepherd5 06-20-2010 11:14 PM

How did your clone turn out?

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:28 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.