New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Scorched spot in bottom of boil kettle!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2006, 09:57 AM   #1
freebird
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Scorched spot in bottom of boil kettle!

Was making a kit brew the other night (LD Carlson / Brewer's Best German Altbier Style); and I steeped the grain in 2 gal of water. Added that water and 2 more gal to the 30 qt. pot on the outside burner. Temp probably 140 when I added a can of light ME, and a can of amber and some more water. Stirred them up well or so I thought...

Went on about the boil. After cooling when I racked it out (5.5 gal total boil, boiled down to 5), I find an irregular burnt / scorched spot in the bottom of the pot It's about 4 x 5" (like a couple fried eggs )

It don't look like the flame pattern, methinks that some ME pooled up or something.

Anyhow, I went ahead and primaried the stuff. Should I dump it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2006, 10:15 AM   #2
Spyk'd

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Yet another good post that illustrates a reason to move to DME. The liquid tends to do exactly what you described if you are not vigilant in your stirring. You didn't say exactly how scorched your pot was and you already took the time to primary it and pitch your yeast. I'd say let it ferment in your primary and do a taste test going into the secondary. You may end up with a "smoked" beer.

Let it ride!

American Red
Keg Conditioning:
Gruit
On Tap:
ESB
Bottled:
Nada...
On Deck:
Porter, Belgian Abbey Ale

Old 06-24-2006, 01:38 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

The ale should okay. I've had a few chars over the years and they haven't made much difference. I always add the LME with the burner off or mix the LME and hot water in a seperate pot then add it to the kettle. With DME the undissolved lumps tend to float where you can see them.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-24-2006, 01:50 PM   #4
sonvolt
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

You will be fine. In fact, you may have added a caramelly sweetness that will increase the complexity of your beer. One very old tradition of brewing is to heat up large stones in a fire and then put these stones into the wort to create the boil. This process scorches the sugars against the rocks which creates a deep caramel sweetness in your beer.

If the caramel is too strong in this one, tell everyone who drinks it that you were brewing an historic beer

Old 06-24-2006, 04:27 PM   #5
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That's why you should turn off the heat and dissolve all malts before putting it back onto a flame.

Sounds like it'll be OK though.

We all have some carmelization going on in our pots, but I've noticed that when I make mead and boil the honey they disappear. Honestly.

Old 06-24-2006, 04:43 PM   #6
freebird
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
That's why you should turn off the heat and dissolve all malts before putting it back onto a flame.
aye, aye....

All the "kits" we've done have had only light malt extract until now; this one had a can of amber. Done the same method before without this problem - added cool water to 170 steeping water (with a little bottom heat going) and stirred vigorously until the wort was consistent in color - maybe the amber (or was it dark?) extract didn't dissolve as well as we thunk?

Hell, though, the first two batches of AG that we did (reverting back to kits for time purposes!) are almost gone, faster than the kits / extract brews, guess we just better stick to that! <hic>

now whadda we do if'n this is the best we've made yet???

Old 06-24-2006, 04:58 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

Add a little Black Patent for that special Burnt Offering flavor!

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-24-2006, 09:18 PM   #8
Brew-boy

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I used to have the same thing happen before I switched to a heavier bottom brew pot. I think the thin or "Tinny" one will burn easy.

Old 06-26-2006, 02:30 AM   #9
MrEcted1
Recipes 

I charred the crap out of my brew kettle on the brew before my last, which was an imperial stout. The stout turned out fantastic, so I wouldn't worry too much (of coarse stouts, especially imperial stouts will mask a lot of cruddy flavors, but I tried hard and I couldn't detect any burnt flavor in there)

Primary: Porter Potty (oaked porter)
Secondary:
Bottled:
Bottled (Drinking):
Next: IIPA

last batch review(Schwheat (wheat))

Appear: 3.5/5.
Mouthfeel: 3.5/5
Carb/Head: 3/5
Taste: 2.5/5
Overall: 3/5

An overall decent beer but it has too much of a banana character, I think it's because of fermenting at too high of a temp. Tasted better as it aged, but far from perfect.

Old 06-26-2006, 07:02 PM   #10
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 13

This happened to me once and the beer turned out fine.

I was in a real panic about how I would get the stain off the bottom. I scrubbed for quite awhile and then I gave up, leaving the pot upside down to dry. My wife and I were watching TV that afternoon and started hearing an echoey crackling sound.

After several minutes of trying to locate the source, I flipped th pot over to find that the stain had crackled off on its own in roughly 2 pieces. There is no longer any evidence of the scorch and the pieces were auctioned off on ebay because they formed an image of the Virgin Mary.

Just kidding about the Mary thing. All else is true. Freaky!

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Quick Reply