Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Samuel Adams Old Fezziwig Ale clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2012, 01:59 AM   #11
Themats
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I like the tea idea, especially since you didn't get an overpowering taste from it. I confess that my big worry was what notsane described: too much intensity. I've got 10 gallons to work with, so I may try 2 different strengths of ginger "tea", one for each bottling bucket. Thanks for adding the suggestion lauxri.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 09:20 PM   #12
Jumboag
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

FWIW, I made a mini-mash of the AHS recipe referenced by Firstnten several weeks ago. I'll keg it this weekend and tap it around Thanksgiving. I'll let everyone know how similar it is to the Sam Adams. It wont be dead on b/c the profile doesn't match, but it should be w/in the ballpark.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:18 PM   #13
Ahfack
Recipes 

Great stuff in this thread guys! I know it's pushing it (holiday-wise), but I love this beer so much I'm going to brew this next weekend! 10 gallon batch in my keggle.

Thanks for the updates guys, keep'em comin!

Old 11-19-2012, 08:20 PM   #14
Jumboag
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I kegged the AHS Chocolate Orange a couple of weeks ago. Its on CO2 right now. First off a caveat: It did not ferment fully. The ABV is way too low in the 3.9 - 4.0 range. It just never took off and I didnt feel like chasing it to try to fix it. Having said that its not a bad beer. I dont taste the orange in it at all. Its a bit thin tasting. More bitter than I expected. Not nearly as smooth as an Old Fez but its not a bad beer. It definitely is one that will improve with age. I tried one a few days after kegging and it wasnt good at all. Now that its got good carbonation its OK. Because of the bite, I'm going to move it over to my Stout faucet under Beergas as soon as a Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout clone I have is drained. I think this one will be much better served under Nitro.

I think I'm going to try this one again at some point and use an extra yeast pack or do a starter. I'll also double up on the flavor packet.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:32 AM   #15
Jumboag
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I posted this as my comments on the beer on the AHS site. In retrospect, I think my OG reading was wrong because the beer has no indication of being that out of "whack". If you really are trying to duplicate Old Fezziwig, this AHS beer is not the one you want. Keep searching for an actual clone recipe.

I did the partial mash of this. My OG was off, but in retrospect I think it may have been a measurement error bc the final came in as expected and the taste isnt "off" at all. Its definitely a deeper flavor than I had expected. I bought it hoping it would be similar to a Sam Adams Old Fez. Its definitely got a "stout" bite to it. The chocolate is very dry. If you like dark beers with a bit of bitterness/roast flavor to them, you'll enjoy this beer. If you like the Sam Adams Holiday porter or the Saint Arnold Winter stout (or similar), you should also really enjoy this beer.

I originally had it on CO2 but after having a couple of glasses I decided it was more suited to beergas. As a previous poster commented, huge head retention on it. I had to warm it up to purge enough CO2 to keep from making a Nitro foam fest. On beergas it is a very good beer. I'd like to try again and see if I end up out of whack on the OG again. Next time I'll go full blown all grain though.

One caveat - if you use an autosiphon, the orange in the spice pack tends to clog while you're transferring to secondary or to bottling/kegging, so keep a spray bottle of starsan with you while you transfer it to avoid contamination b/c you'll be pulling the siphon tube out to clean it regularly.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:14 AM   #16
VTJayLaw
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstnten View Post
I found this minimash recipe for SA old fezz. Any thoughts on this other then it's way to late to do it for this year?

6.5lb Dark Malt Extract
2.0lb Dry Dark Malt Extract (DME)
3lb Clover Honey

Grains
.5lb Chocolate Malt
.5lb Crystal Malt (80-L)
.5lb Black Patent Malt

2oz Northern Brewer Hops (Bittering)
1oz Cascade Hops (Aroma)
1oz Ginger, Grated

3 Oranges, Peeled and Quartered
3 Cinnamon Sticks
2 Whole Nutmegs
6 Whole Cloves
1/4 Teaspoon Irish Moss
1 Vial White Labs Irish Ale Yeast (WLP004)

Place the crushed Crystal Malt, Chocolate Malt, and Black Patent Malt in the water and steep at 70°C for 30 minutes. Remove the spent grains then add the Dry Dark malt Extract, Honey and Northern Brewer Hops, and boil for ½ hour. Add the Cascade Hops and Irish Moss during the last 5 minutes of the boil. Turn off heat and add the oranges and spices. Allow to steep for 30 minutes, then strain. Cool the work and pitch the yeast. Allow to primary ferment for 10 to 14 days and then transfer to secondary fermenter. Ferment for an aditional 7 to 10 days then bottle. Age in the bottle for at least 10 days before drinking.

Last edited by VTJayLaw; 02-12-2013 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Misstatement

Old 10-06-2013, 05:16 AM   #17
Sycamore_Rocks_Craft_beer
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I'm going to try a version of this with all spice or coriander instead of cloves and see how it does...I will update...hope all goes well.

Quick Reply