The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Safale s-04 alc. tolerance

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2009, 04:36 PM   #11
brewt00l
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepthedrive View Post
no, the day of brewing i was in a hurry to get to the airport and then to work, so I didnt take a reading
I'm talking about a reading now....to see what the current gravity is.

FWIW, you can back into your SG if you add up the gravity points of all your ingredients.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2009, 01:08 AM   #12
Cooncreeker
Recipes 

Default S-04 Alcohol Tolerance

I used the S-04 yeast on some barley wine. It made it just shy of 8% alcohol before the yeast lost its zip. I'm finishing the process with some wine yeast.

Old 10-13-2011, 04:53 PM   #13
Kifi
Recipes 

I'm getting a really yeasty taste from my Safale 04 cider, even after racking, etc. Anyone else had this issue?

Old 10-24-2011, 11:42 PM   #14
Dr1nkBeer
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

just used s-04 in a chocolate stout i saved the yeast in my flask but it like JELLY... not the usual consistancy..

any thoughts?

Kegged::
Amber Ale | Pale Ale
Bottle Aging::
2011 Christmas ale (10 mon)
On Deck:
BIGIPA

MY kegerator Build https://picasaweb.google.com/antonio...eat=directlink
My All Grain Setup https://picasaweb.google.com/antonio...eat=directlink

Old 01-20-2012, 10:00 PM   #15
70Cuda383
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr1nkBeer View Post
just used s-04 in a chocolate stout i saved the yeast in my flask but it like JELLY... not the usual consistancy..

any thoughts?
Doing some searching, dug up this old thread, which got refreshed recently.

I see on one post, that S-04 is good for up to 10%, another that said it died out at 8...

I just made a "big beer" whiskey barrel stout that I added an extra 6 lbs of LME to, as well as a pound of lactose.

original gravity was around 1.100-1.105 it went like crazy the first day, spit krausen all over, then settled down. I cleaned up the airlock, top of the carboy, etc. and re-set the airlock.

it sat for 2 weeks now, and all activity is pretty much done.

Gravity now was 1.050.

one calculator says ABV is 7.22%, but another "more advanced" calculator says it's 8.26% I was kind of hoping that by doubling the fermentables, I would double the target alcohol. original target gravity was 1.050, and I pretty much doubled that. target alcohol was 5-6%, so I was shooting for around 10%

so...did my S-04 yeast die off in the alcohol? or did it really consume all the sugars?

Another question... on this stuff... since it's whiskey stout, I put the wood chips into a sanitized carboy, and added a few ounces of my favorite scotch for some more flavor and to help make sure the wood is sterile, and I'm going to leave it in the secondary for a couple months, maybe bottle in mid-March.

Do I need to worry about such a long lag time and having the yeast go dormant? or if they are dead, adding more, higher tolerant yeast, to be sure they can bottle condition and carbonate properly?

WHEW....is that enough questions in one post?!

Old 01-20-2012, 10:08 PM   #16
70Cuda383
Recipes 

By the way, the sample tasted pretty good even with just 2 weeks in primary. a tad sweet, but very malty and rich, which is what I wanted (and why I added some non-fermentable sugar too, for a touch of sweetness)

my biggest concern is if the yeast are dead or not, because I bottle condition.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:33 AM   #17
ChopperBri
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

@Cuda, I brewed a brewers best “whiskey barrel stout” kit I had sitting around last weekend. I added 3lb of DME and 1oz of magnum to bitter on top of the kit. OG was 1.090 (biggest I’ve brewed yet) and after 5 days in the primary I’m at 1.040 tonight. Using S-04 I hope it drops more!
As far as the oak chips. I boil mine for about 5 min and then marinate them in bourbon for a few weeks. I’ve been told to sample the beer periodically to not let the oak take over. I’ll rack into the secondary next week and let it sit on the oak for 7-10 days.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:41 PM   #18
TDiCR
Recipes 

Just did an Imperial Rye IBA with an og of 1.083. After one week with S04 it is sitting at 1.014 ~9%. Made a tiny starter 4 hours before i pitched. Fermented like crazy the first four days and then dropped off. Very pleased with the yeast - seems like it could be pushed much further.

Quick Reply