Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Russian Imperial Stout by Brewers Best- Fermentation, Hops, Chocolate Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #1
keystoner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Russian Imperial Stout by Brewers Best- Fermentation, Hops, Chocolate Questions

Yesterday I purchased the Brewers Best Russian Imperial Stout kit and am looking for some suggestions. First, the kit came with 1 oz Columbus hops for bittering and .5 oz Cascade hops for aroma. Are there any other varieties of hops that work for Russian Imperial Stouts? I am considering using these hops for an IPA recipe I was looking forward to doing, but if it is best not to deviate from the prepared recipe, I wont. Secondly, I wanted to add some vanilla or chocolate or something along those lines to give this stout some extra flavor. Any suggestions? Lastly, for a brew like this should I leave it in the primary, secondary, and/or bottles for an extended time before moving on to the next step? The recipe says to leave in primary for about a week, rack to secondary, and then 2 weeks later proceed to bottling day. Should I let this brew age longer in any of the fermentation vessels and/or bottles? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #2
rifraf
Recipes 

Liked 196 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 61

RIS beers are supposed to age a good long while. I just brewed on last week that I plan on bottling in January.

You have to grow old, you don't have to grow up.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
sweed
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 34

There are other hops you can use. I used Centennial (Bittering) and Fuggles( Flavor) 5 oz. total and it is not bitter, quite good the last time I check a little over a month in the bottles. Leave it in the primary for a good 3-4 weeks. If you add cocoa nibs and/ or vanilla beans, there are different lengths you can leave them in the secondary. I did about 2.5 weeks with oak chips, vanilla beans (2) and some bourbon. You can leave it in the seconday for 6 months and then bottle if you want. I have read only a few weeks is necessary for cocoa nibs and beans. Its best to taste it to figure out how long is the right time to bottle it. I love these beers, and they do take a lot of time to melllow out, but every time I have a 'test' beer it gets better. It will also take some time for the beers to carbonate, some take months and months. I had nothing after 1.5 months, and I'm sure at my 2 months I wont have much, if anything. SO thats also something to think about if you want these to be ready for a certain specific date. I need to make another batch soon just to have around for sometime next year because I'm afraid they are going to go by quickly with friends and football this fall/ winter!!

Old 09-05-2012, 03:05 AM   #4
DurtyChemist
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'd follow the recipe then let it sit for AT LEASTsix months before touching it again. Find somewhere you can leave it at a consistent temperature. I left mine in a keg in a fridge outside and it stayed cold enough. The style was made to sit on a oat ion a barrel while crossing the seas to another country.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:22 PM   #5
LittleBearBrews
Recipes 

I am also interested in doing this kit but was thinking 3 weeks in a primary, no secondary, and letting them age in the bottles. Is this not a good idea? I only have 1 fermenter and don't want it tied up for months.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:38 PM   #6
rifraf
Recipes 

Liked 196 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBearBrews
I am also interested in doing this kit but was thinking 3 weeks in a primary, no secondary, and letting them age in the bottles. Is this not a good idea? I only have 1 fermenter and don't want it tied up for months.
That's fine, will just take a while. Go get another bucket!!
You have to grow old, you don't have to grow up.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:02 PM   #7
Tinman13
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I made this kit, oaked with rum soaked spirow
4 weeks in fermenter
8 months in 2ndary
3 weeks right now in bottle
Not a lot of head, but the best RIS I have ever had