Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Roselare Red additional Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2014, 04:58 PM   #1
brewbama
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Roselare Red additional Yeast

I have a Roeselare Red in the Secondary now which I plan to leave for 4 to 9 months (or more) to get the sour cherry finish that the style is suppose to represent. I received Lalvin EC-1118 Saccharomyces Bayanus Yeast that came with the William's kit. The instruction say to add this prior to bottling. I thought the Secondary fermentation was suppose to sour the beer, what does this additional yeast do? My guess is that the length of time in the secondary kills off sufficient amounts of yeast that the addition is required along with sugar to carbonate the beer. Am I close??

~ May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead. ~ Big Deck BBQ and Brew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2014, 10:18 PM   #2
Calder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 305 Times on 271 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The low ph (sour) is hostile to sacc yeast. Chances are it will all be dead when you bottle.

The brett would eventually carb it, but it would take a while.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply