Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Rock hard DME

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #1
Grizybaer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Rock hard DME

So earlier today I had a dme brick that I laboriously broke up. A solid brick, not powdery in the middle. Hammer blows were not very effective so I used a combination of a chisel and drill with a screw tip.

I just discovered that this work is not necessary if u have some time. I left some big chunks in warm, ~130, water and it's melting. It's not fast, I think its taking 2 hrs or so for the 2 half lb blocks but it's going.

I figure I'd post it I case anyone else had hard bricks in their inventory. Happy brewing..
-william.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:46 PM   #2
stevedis
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Curious Grizy; how did this turn out? Any off flavors in your brew?? I have some DME bricks at home that I'd like to use up. I thought about maybe softening them up in the microwave first, as I've used that trick several times with hardened brown sugar and it works great.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
JDGator
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 8

i purchased 10lbs of DME that was brick like (i got a great deal on it. $5). i just broke off the weight i needed and added it to warm water and stirred and stirred and stirred. beer tasted pretty good. i added some extra hops to try and mask any stale flavor.

Reason: added info
stevedis Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2013, 05:35 AM   #4
Grizybaer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedis View Post
how did this turn out? Any off flavors in your brew??
Stevedis, i didnt notice any off flavors in mine. I had a 50lb sack of dme that was used for about 4 batches. I thought DME would be a time saver, turns out it was a PITA. Its sticky, hard to portion out w/o making a mess, and turns to bricks requiring additional time to melt. We'll see how all grain goes.

Quick Reply