The right color

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clintdowns

Reaction score
Just transferred my Summer Ale from the primary into the secondary. Looks a little dark to me. Is this the right color.

image-4106072940.jpg

Well the directions on the brewers best kit said to take it from the primary straight to the bottle but I wanted to do a secondary to try and clear it up a little better. Glad I did it cause it was really cloudy

A little haze never hurt anything! I've never been worried about clarity, I use a tsp of irish moss since some recipies call for it but I don't think clarity means anything besides that its clear.

Well,unless it's a wheat beer,it's intended to be clear. Yeast can add some funky flavors,not necessarily unpleasant,but different than desired.

If I can remember properly. I had to add two bags of the wheat DME when brewing last week

Yes,they will look lighter in a glass,but that one won't look yellow golden like a commercial summer ale we all know. That's why I do late extract additions. It keeps colors lighter & flavors cleaner.:mug:

Latest posts

Back