Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Replacing Munich Malt in Extract Recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2014, 02:54 PM   #1
DukeAC
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Replacing Munich Malt in Extract Recipe

Hey everybody,

First of all, this is my first time posting on the board and just wanted to give a general "thank you" to this forum for providing so much info about homebrewing...it's really been a great help as I'm diving into this new "hobby".

I'm a reasonably new homebrewer and have a (possibly dumb) question about a recipe I'm thinking about brewing. I want to brew a clone of Founders Porter (recipe from http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/any-...s-info-160119/, copied below) and am trying to convert this to an extract recipe. Is there a way to replace the Munich malt in this recipe besides getting Munich LME (which comes in larger packages than I'd need)? I was thinking about replacing the Munich with something like Aromatic Malt. Any thoughts? Thanks a lot for your help.

-Aaron

9.5 lbs 2 Row
1.25 lbs Chocolate Malt
1 lb Munich
10 oz Carapils
6 oz Crystal 120 L
4 oz Black Patent

Mashed at 155 for 60 minutes
75 Minute Boil

Hops:
60 min - 0.75 oz Nugget (12.2%)
20 min - 0.75 oz Hallertau (4.5%) and 0.75 Willamette (4.9%)
Flameout - 0.25 oz Hallertau and 0.25 oz Willamette

For yeast, I used WLP001.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2014, 02:57 PM   #2
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 258 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Munich is similar to Vienna malt, it's just a kilned malt that has a more malty taste than 2-row. Munich also adds some copper color to the beer in larger quantities. Aromatic is MUCH stronger tasting than Munich. If you sub it I would use like 4oz Aromatic

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 01-21-2014, 04:31 PM   #3
CraptainWirtz
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Is there any reason you don't want to steep the specialty grains, including the Munich? I'd give it a shot if I were you.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:45 PM   #4
DukeAC
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I thought that Munich needed to be mashed, not steeped, which is why I was looking for alternatives. Is this not correct? I planned to steep the other grains.

Thanks,
Aaron

Old 01-21-2014, 04:48 PM   #5
Jayhem
Recipes 

Munich will contribute flavor if steeped, just not fermentable sugars. You have to mash to get fermentable sugars from the grains, steeping just provides flavor. With something as complex as this grain bill I would just do a partial mash and use extract for most of the base malt and BIAB the rest on the stove top, really doesn't add much more work.

Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 01-21-2014, 05:31 PM   #6
ColoradoHomebrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You are right, Munich must be mashed. You may get some of the flavors from the munich in a small quantity but you will also extract starch from the grain. Starch is not normally desired. I've had this problem and now I know a store that sells munich LME in 1 lb increments to solve your problem. Otherwise, you could try some light crystal to give it a little more malt depth, like 8 oz crystal 20 or so.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:47 PM   #7
LBussy
OCD Procrastinator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 64

So people have given you advice how to make something close, but just in case it was not readily apparent: There is no real replacement for Munich Malt except for Munich Malt. And yes it must be mashed, steeping will give you a starch tea that is not going to be a real good addition.

The really cool thing about using something like that is it's an opportunity to stretch and try something you've never tried before. You can "mash" a very small amount quite easily by using 1/2 or 1 lb of 2-row plus your Munich and really broaden your available flavors. It is VERY forgiving done this way. Strike with the right amount of water and then drop the pot in a cooler or even wrap it in a blanket for an hour and you have "made the jump." Even if your temps are a little off it's not going to make a huge difference if your primary fermentable is extract.

ETA: Even a normal cooking pot and a wire strainer will work for this. Just do it!

Lee Bussy
Bad decisions make good stories.

IslandLizard Likes This 
Old 01-21-2014, 05:55 PM   #8
IslandLizard
Progressive Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 372 Times on 334 Posts
Likes Given: 1176

^ This.

Partial mash is easy and very rewarding. Before you know it you'll be looking for a cooler and larger brew kettle...

Preparing: Framboise Clone | Arrogant Bastard Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #3 | Tank 7 Saison Clone | Fresh Squeezed IPA | Sours
Fermenting:
Dry hopping:
Aging: Old Treacle Mine ==> Oud Bruin
On tap: Belgian Wit {1st place @FSH Guild Wheat Beer Comp.} | Pocahontas Pumpkin Ale
Kicked: 2.3'd | ESB | Sketchy Bastard | Black Butte Porter Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #2 | Citra Wheat Saison | Rosemary Wheat Saison | Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone | Caramel Amber Ale

Old 01-21-2014, 06:40 PM   #9
Jayhem
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandLizard View Post
^ This.

Partial mash is easy and very rewarding. Before you know it you'll be looking for a cooler and larger brew kettle...
Unless...he doesn't want to get into partial mash because it's a trap! You will be hooked on all-grain brewing in no time!

Newsman Likes This 
Old 01-21-2014, 06:43 PM   #10
LBussy
OCD Procrastinator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhem View Post
Unless...he doesn't want to get into partial mash because it's a trap! You will be hooked on all-grain brewing in no time!
Come on man, try it, everyone is doing it!

My first partial mash was in a pot, temp control done by stove - moving it back and forth on a burner. I poured the mash into a strainer and then ran the kitchen sink sprayer and hot water through it till it seemed right. The rest is history.

Lee Bussy
Bad decisions make good stories.

People Like This 

Quick Reply