Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Repitching on yeast cake

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2008, 02:03 PM   #11
p4ck37p1mp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandoman View Post
actually, I've had some really bad luck doing this and think I now understand why. When you remove yeast from the cake, you're bringing with it more than just yeast, maltose, and water - you're bringing starches and I guess, other things, that bacteria like. Everytime I've tried to 'harvest' yeast I've ended up with some off-flavor nasty yeast the next time around. So, on the advice of Asheville homebrewing supply in NC, i've started making large starters on just LME, pitching part of it, and saving the other part. Then I use this starter continuously, simply building it up and pitching a part, in consecutive brews. That way the original starter never sees anything but maltose, water, and yeast and the exposure time is minimum.

I have also had really good luck pitching right on top of the cake and I think the difference between doing this and harvesting/reusing is exposure to air/bacteria. Seems like it wouldn't be much but you should've smelled/tasted all the harvest yeast I just poured out. Thankfully I only used it twice and only had to get 10 gallons of off-flavor yeast beer down my gullet.

cb
I do this all the time, I usually have 4-6 quart mason jars full of yeast. I've had no problems. The main thing is sterilze the jars and lids and immediately put in the fridge. If the batch fermented the chance of nasties being in there is minimal. I don't bother washing either, but you could do this to remove more of the stuff you don't want.

-- "Unix is user friendly. However, it isn't idiot friendly."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2008, 08:33 PM   #12
brandona33
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluespook View Post
Out of curiosity, what are you brewing?
i am brewing an oktoberfest from a kit, then doing a pumpkin ale, both recipes using the same yeast. Figured I'd do the pumpkin last because I didn't know if the flavor would transfer over.

Fall beer time is a great time!

Takin life 1 Homebrew at a time!

Old 08-22-2008, 04:08 AM   #13
Chip
Recipes 

I have only done it once - granted I am still a new bee at this stuff. I can say through Howdy Doody Batman did the second batch take off.

I did a direct repeat of my mild and the second batch was burping at tree times a second in one hour. Burping so fast I could not count the individual bubbles after three hours and finished dead calm at 25 hours.

I have not yet tried the second batch as I still have a few bottles of the first to get through first but a friend did a side by side test and said there is a big improvement in the second batch.

I have one a night so in a few weeks I will be there.

Primary - Orfy's Mild Ale
Secondary - Hard Cider
Bottled - my version of a simple English Mild

Old 05-09-2009, 10:55 PM   #14
BillyB
Recipes 

I saved off the yeast cake out of the bottom of my secondary fermenter after brewing an Irish Red Ale into a spaghetti jar that I had ran through the dish washer, and sanitized.

It's been in the fridge for a day now, and there are 3 distinct layers:

At the bottom is a very dark brown layer about a 3/8 inch thick, then a sandy colored layer 3/16 inch thick, and on top of that is obviously the wort that was left on top.

Question: Which of the bottom two layers is the yeast?

Old 05-10-2009, 01:35 AM   #15
DNW
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well that is weird. My sandy colored layer ends up at the bottom, which I am assuming is the yeast, as I've dumped off the beer and trub (middle layer) and gotten great results making a starter with what's left. However, from the yeast washing info I've read I've gathered that the yeast would be the middle layer.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:03 AM   #16
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4772 Times on 3469 Posts
Likes Given: 947

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyB View Post
I saved off the yeast cake out of the bottom of my secondary fermenter after brewing an Irish Red Ale into a spaghetti jar that I had ran through the dish washer, and sanitized.

It's been in the fridge for a day now, and there are 3 distinct layers:

At the bottom is a very dark brown layer about a 3/8 inch thick, then a sandy colored layer 3/16 inch thick, and on top of that is obviously the wort that was left on top.

Question: Which of the bottom two layers is the yeast?
The trub is the bottom- the yeast is the middle.

Old 05-10-2009, 05:49 AM   #17
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Today I racked a beer with the same yeast I wanted for the two batches of beer I brewed latter today. Mr. Malty said I only needed about 1/2 cup of the slurry per batch so I just scooped it out with a sanitized measuring cup. I have some extra fermenters so I didn't have to use the same one.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:57 AM   #18
BillyB
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoopernatrix View Post
The trub is the bottom- the yeast is the middle.
Good info - thanks to everyone who responded.

I've read a number articles on this now, but one thing I can't seem to find is - How do you know how much to use?

Is there a way of measuring how much yeast you have?

Old 05-11-2009, 03:46 PM   #19
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 74

There are way too many variables to be very accurate but this is the best I know off.
Mr Malty Pitching Rate Calculator

Old 05-12-2009, 02:33 PM   #20
BillyB
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conroe View Post
There are way too many variables to be very accurate but this is the best I know off.
Mr Malty Pitching Rate Calculator
I think I've seen that before. How do you have any idea what you're "Yeast Concentration per billion/ml" is?

Guess?

Quick Reply