Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Repitching California Ale Yeast Cake

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2007, 09:11 PM   #1
Irishcrazy2005
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Repitching California Ale Yeast Cake

Hi, first time poster! Anyhow, I've been lurking for awhile and I've done three batches now. I am going to rack my third batch to secondary today; it's a West Coast Pale Ale that was fermented with White Labs California Ale Yeast (WLP001) and used Warrior hops, centennial hops, and ahtanum hops (with amarillo to come for dry hopping).

Anyhow, I want to try reusing this yeast cake to make a SN Bigfoot clone, since the yeast strain is right. What I am worried about is the amount of hop matter that will be left in the primary with the yeast cake when I am done racking out of the primary. I keep hearing things about not leaving your beer in primary for too long because the trub will impart off flavors, so is it safe to pitch another brew right onto the trub and yeast of this one? Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2007, 09:19 PM   #2
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Yep,you can do it. Try to siphon off as much as you can, make sure the wort it in the temp range for the yeast before adding it to the fermentor.

You will likely need a blowoff system because it will take off.

Gary

Old 05-26-2007, 10:00 PM   #3
Irishcrazy2005
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender
Yep,you can do it. Try to siphon off as much as you can, make sure the wort it in the temp range for the yeast before adding it to the fermentor.

You will likely need a blowoff system because it will take off.
So I don't need to worry about the vegetation that will still be in there?

Old 05-26-2007, 10:43 PM   #4
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

No,but realize you will have that much more from the 2nd batch. You could wash the yeast to remove a lot of the trub and hop bits but, that is another process.

Gary

Old 05-27-2007, 02:37 AM   #5
Big Al

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I didn't do an IPA before I pitched to my yeast cake but I had a lot of trub. I've made that barleywine twice now, 1st time with the yeast cake and trub second time with a large starter. The one with the yeast cake and trub is better. don't know if that's because of that or not, just thought I'd share!

Primary - If it's not Scottish it's CRAP Ale
Primary Imperial IPA
Secondary -
Bottled and drinking: Hey!Hey! IPA, Land of Oz Barleywine #2, Caramel Creme Ale, Red Stripe Lager Clone

RIP: Oatmeal Stout, Octoberfestivus, 777 RPA, Fat Tire Clone (1st AG), Experimental Honey Brown

Quick Reply