The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > recommendations for a good hoppy American IPA extract recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2013, 08:10 PM   #11
inflictor-of-grimness
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsyoung View Post

Wow... You're right. I tried finding it thru the email they sent me but said the product could not be found. I guess they sold out. You could try calling them
Probably sold out. The deal ended last night anyway

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2013, 08:34 PM   #12
jlfindley74
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the recipe suggestions. Now, hop flavor vs hop bitterness, i.assume dry hop additions are the best way to achieve flavor over bitter. Yes?

Old 06-29-2013, 08:47 PM   #13
bsyoung
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfindley74
Thanks for the recipe suggestions. Now, hop flavor vs hop bitterness, i.assume dry hop additions are the best way to achieve flavor over bitter. Yes?
Late additions in the boil and dry hop will contribute more flavor and aroma as opposed to bitterness. I usually add hops at 10, 5, and 0 mins left in boil and then dry hop for approx 5 days.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:43 AM   #14
jlfindley74
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

in regards to your dry hopping, Is that to say you add 1oz of hops of choice every day for 5 days?
Is that the first five days of primary?

Old 07-01-2013, 01:57 AM   #15
bsyoung
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfindley74
in regards to your dry hopping, Is that to say you add 1oz of hops of choice every day for 5 days?
Is that the first five days of primary?
No, you will want to add the hops after primary fermentation is complete. I usually add 1-3 oz of hops all at one time for approx 5 days depending on the style of beer. I have read some forums where brewers dry hop at 2 different stages but I have not done this yet. There is some debate on adding hops in the primary vs secondary fermenter. I always add in the primary fermenter bc I rarely secondary my beer and have never had a problem.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:30 AM   #16
CrookedTail
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfindley74 View Post
Hop-burst your IPA. That will give big time hop flavor. It can even allow you to shorten your boil time, which will lighten the color a bit. Of course use the extract late method.

My IPA uses 2 ounces of high alpha hops at 15 minutes, and 2 ounces in the final 3-5 minutes. That gets my IBUs pretty high, so I only need to add a little bit of bittering hops for balance. It's been very well received by all who have tried it. I prefer it over most commercial IPAs that I've had.

Quick Reply