Old 06-29-2013, 08:51 PM   #1
eyedogtor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default recipe help

Hey guys,

I hope everyone is well. I had a question about a recipe I was thinking about.

Basically, it is a simple porter, but I got 2 jars of peanut butter powder (oil removed) to put in the secondary for a couple of weeks to impart a peanut butter aroma and flavor.

The kick here, is that I was thinking of using a white labs german hefeweizen yeast and fermenting at higher temps to pull out the banana esters....try to get a peanut butter and banana porter.

My question.....what would the best yeast for this be? Should I try for a belgian instead? Also, any general advice / thoughts if you have done something similar.

Thanks all,

Pat

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2013, 03:14 AM   #2
Demus
Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Crazy idea, I think I like it!! Read the descriptions of the strains; I know there are some that are more clove than banana. Also, I wouldn't go too warm, hef yeast do well cool. You can get them more estery by under pitching a little, say 10 or 15% below the yeast calc numbers. That'll cause more growth in the early stages and throw more esters without the pitfalls of a warm ferment.

As for the peanuts, I have NO clue how much to use. Please report back your results!!

Old 06-30-2013, 03:24 AM   #3
eyedogtor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it. I'll make sure to report back.

Pat

Old 06-30-2013, 07:17 PM   #4
timrox1212
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 27 Posts

Yea use the hefe yeast. I use it for anything I want banana flavors in. This sounds like a great beer an I might just steal your idea. Keep us posted on how it turns out.

Quick Reply