Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Recipe Critique : Bourbon Oaked Double Chocolate Cherry Oatmeal Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2012, 08:49 AM   #11
bigbeergeek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 79

I would have skipped the sour cherry syrup. Recent experimentation with the stuff over Christmas has taught me that it lends a non-cherry-tasting fruity tartness that I don't want in my stouts. I think this recipe (like 90% of extract recipes) needed some simple sugar (like table sugar) to bring that FG down, too. Really swung for the fences with this one, huh?

"Good people drink good beer." -HST

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2012, 02:55 AM   #12
NewBrewRW
Recipes 

Yea man the wife wanted a big stout for the winter holidays that combined chocolate and cherry so I went all out with it haha.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:25 AM   #13
NewBrewRW
Recipes 

An update - The bourbon has mellowed but still shines through. The oaky flavor coupled with the chocolate is fantastic. I would say next time I will use crushed cherries or cherry puree as much of the cherry flavor was not retained. There is a pic of this awesome brew below.

File Type: bmp untitled.bmp (183.8 KB, 157 views)

Old 01-23-2012, 01:11 PM   #14
SasquatchSmith
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBrewRW View Post
An update - The bourbon has mellowed but still shines through. The oaky flavor coupled with the chocolate is fantastic. I would say next time I will use crushed cherries or cherry puree as much of the cherry flavor was not retained. There is a pic of this awesome brew below.
Sounds delicious man, I actually LOVE beers that are heavy on the bourbon so I think I would be a big fan of your beer.

I'm gonna get a stout going soon as my 3rd brew...I don't want to screw it up since i'm such a noob, but i'm very tempted to oak it, bourbon it, add some other not yet decided stuff to secondary...we'll see

Old 01-24-2012, 05:26 AM   #15
NewBrewRW
Recipes 

Good luck. The bourbon oaked idea is actually really simple. I bought 4oz of french oak chips from austin home brew and just soaked them in the bourbon for about 2weeks. I would recommend just using the chip and not the bourbon that you drain away from them when they are done soaking. The bourbon flavour that come out of the chips is very intense already and adding anymore would overpower the beer.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:14 PM   #16
SasquatchSmith
Recipes 

Quote:
Good luck. The bourbon oaked idea is actually really simple. I bought 4oz of french oak chips from austin home brew and just soaked them in the bourbon for about 2weeks. I would recommend just using the chip and not the bourbon that you drain away from them when they are done soaking. The bourbon flavour that come out of the chips is very intense already and adding anymore would overpower the beer.
Thanks for the tips, i'll keep that in mind

Old 01-25-2012, 01:05 AM   #17
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 243 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
I would recommend just using the chip and not the bourbon that you drain away from them when they are done soaking. The bourbon flavour that come out of the chips is very intense already and adding anymore would overpower the beer.
Really! I don't like Bourbon, but have used Brandy and Rum in beers and have used it at a rate of about half a liter for 5 gallons.

If I remember correctly, Denny's Chocolate Burbon Porter (or something like that, you can search for it), a very popular recipe also uses about a half liter for 5 gallons too.

Quick Reply