Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Raspberry wheat using puree

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2008, 12:04 PM   #1
Beer Please
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Raspberry wheat using puree

I recently made the Raspberry Wheat kit from Austin HB. The beer turned out really good but I wanted to make it better the next time I brewed it.

The kit uses 2 oz of a Raspberry Extract and I wanted to replace it with Oregon Raspberry Puree. I am looking for some guidance on how much puree to use, It comes in 3lb 1oz cans.

I will be adding the puree to a secondary fermentor then racking the beer from the primary on it after fermentation is done.

Any ideas?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2008, 02:22 PM   #2
MgMt_Home_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I did an apricaot black berry wheat this past summer and I used a little over 5lbs of fruit. It came out pretty good but a little tart. However I was gona try it again and get the oregon puree but use two cans.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:24 PM   #3
jmulligan

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I did a raspberry wheat and added one 49 oz can of the raspberry puree (Oregon) to the secondary. Turned out great.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:42 PM   #4
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

My Apricot Blond, and now my Sour Peach beer both use a full can of the puree on or about day #3 of the ferment, and then add the extract at bottling. It's a really nice mix between beer and fruit.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:47 PM   #5
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I did a raspberry wheat with a can of raspberry puree in the primary. I don't know how it compared to yours, but it was a huge hit and my buddy who judged the fruit beers at the state fair said it would have blown all of the entered beers away.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:29 PM   #6
Beer Please
Recipes 

Thanks for the replies, I think on my next batch I will add a full can in the secondary, and possible have some extract on hand to maybe add a little after It's kegged and I taste it. I have heard that the extract can really help with the aroma.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:32 AM   #7
adamjab19
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Definetly add the whole can and maybe an oz or two of extract at bottling to "brighten" up the taste. I did about 2/3 of a can with no extract and found the results a little lacking. However, I think I was also hamperred by some old puree.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:47 AM   #8
cuinrearview
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Can't speak on raspberry, but the peach ale I did a while back had 5lbs. of fresh peaches in secondary. It would have been less after skins and pits were removed, but this "subtle" fruit was overpowering, IMO. No one that tried it thought it was too much, and they couldn't get enough of it. I've never used extract, and don't plan to. I don't think that you can over or under do it with fruit for the masses, and that is what I make a fruit beer for as I could take them or leave them. But, it keeps SWMBO happy.

Looking forward to brewing some beer

Old 09-13-2008, 07:03 AM   #9
JayC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I just dumped a 1 lb bag of frozen raspberries into the secondary while making a plain (no-fruit-intended) BB wheat beer kit. I thought it turned out pretty good. Good enough to try the same thing today with cherries to appease SWMBO. Not sure what the relative cost is on frozen vs. puree vs. extract.

I'll ferment anything that moves!

Old 09-14-2008, 10:31 PM   #10
Tweaker
Recipes 

It seems no one likes the 2 oz fruit additives. Can someone tell me why? I plan to go nuts with them and make a whole mess of Wheat beers.

My previous research says that adding real fruit costs a ton, is a mess, and does not produce a very impressive fruit taste.

I don't really know what a puree is. Is that something you buy at the grocery store and looks like a can of frozen orange juice concentrate? Is that cheaper that using real fruit?

Quick Reply