Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Raspberry Wheat Extract Recipe Thoughts
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2009, 04:58 PM   #1
williamgardner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: HOOsick Falls, NY
Posts: 25
Default Raspberry Wheat Extract Recipe Thoughts

Wimpy's Raspberry Patch Wheat
Fruit Beer

Type: Extract Date: 7/7/2009
Batch Size: 5.00 gal Brewer: William & Joseph
Boil Size: 4.08 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (5 Gallon)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 51.61 %
3.25 lb Wheat Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 41.94 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM)Grain 6.45 %
1.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (55 min) Hops 22.1 IBU
6.00 oz Malto-Dextrine (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Wheat Ale (Wyeast Labs #1010) Yeast-Ale
4 lb Raspberries (Fresh/Frozen)


Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.059 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.91 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 22.1 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 11.5 SRM


I know there has been much discussion on when to add the raspberries, and I am not quite sure. I am leaning towards after the end of the boil...let sit for 15 min, then dump into primary. Any feedback/experience would be helpful. Also any general feedback would be great..

__________________
williamgardner is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2009, 07:40 PM   #2
opengun
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mi
Posts: 68
Default

I want to try a Raspberry Wheat this coming Sunday but I was thinking of using 4oz of Raspberry flavoring in the bottleing bucket.

__________________
opengun is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2009, 08:54 PM   #3
zman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
 
zman's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Denver.
Posts: 2,609
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamgardner View Post
Wimpy's Raspberry Patch Wheat
Fruit Beer

Type: Extract Date: 7/7/2009
Batch Size: 5.00 gal Brewer: William & Joseph
Boil Size: 4.08 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (5 Gallon)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 51.61 %
3.25 lb Wheat Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 41.94 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM)Grain 6.45 %
1.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (55 min) Hops 22.1 IBU
6.00 oz Malto-Dextrine (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Wheat Ale (Wyeast Labs #1010) Yeast-Ale
4 lb Raspberries (Fresh/Frozen)


Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.059 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.91 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 22.1 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 11.5 SRM


I know there has been much discussion on when to add the raspberries, and I am not quite sure. I am leaning towards after the end of the boil...let sit for 15 min, then dump into primary. Any feedback/experience would be helpful. Also any general feedback would be great..
I would suggest putting them in the secondary. you will lose flavor and aroma by adding it to the primary That is what I do. I have also did 1/2 lb per gallon of beer.
__________________
www.kroc.org
zman is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2009, 08:57 PM   #4
Arkador
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 1,722
Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

add the respberries in secondary.

check the recipe in my sig. It fermented for a week in primary, then was transfered to secondary on top of the raspberries. in 5 days they were white, and sinking to the bottom.

__________________
Arkador is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2009, 02:40 AM   #5
Fat Guy Brewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kansas City Metro
Posts: 215
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkador View Post
add the respberries in secondary.
+1 to that and the Requiem Raspberry recipe. I use 48 oz of fresh raspberries and could still stand more flavor.
__________________

CF
Owner, Brewer, Taster

Brewing: IPA
Fermenting: Oktoberfast
Aging:
Drinking: Fat Guy Porter, Fat Guy Tire, AJ's Raspberry, SWMBO Slayer
Up Next: Xmas Ale

Fat Guy Brewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2009, 12:30 PM   #6
SteveM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Philadelphia area
Posts: 1,565
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Default

Check my Raspberry Ale recipe (and probably others in the database) for a discussion on how to manage the fruit in your beer. Generally, people do not boil fruit.

__________________

Black Diamond Brewery

Think global, drink local.

SteveM is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2009, 04:48 PM   #7
UncleDave
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Monroe, North Carolina
Posts: 86
Default

I dumped mine (blackberries) in the primary after two weeks, then allowed in to sit another two. I think it is ready to bottle this weekend. Your recipe looks at lot like mine, even down to the maltodextrin amount. In addition to the fresh berries, I am adding 2 oz of blackberry extract at bottling for aroma. Hope it works out.

__________________
UncleDave is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2009, 04:53 PM   #8
Arkador
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 1,722
Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Guy Brewing View Post
+1 to that and the Requiem Raspberry recipe. I use 48 oz of fresh raspberries and could still stand more flavor.
I am about to tap my first keg of Requiem Raspberry. I used 36oz of raspberries.
__________________
Arkador is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2009, 04:53 PM   #9
MGAZ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Valley of the Sunstroke, AZ
Posts: 128
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by opengun View Post
I want to try a Raspberry Wheat this coming Sunday but I was thinking of using 4oz of Raspberry flavoring in the bottleing bucket.
----------------

I did a 5 gal Raspberry Blonde using this method, (with 5oz priming sugar) it had a ton of head and raspberry flavor. Too much raspeberry for me.
__________________
MGAZ is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2009, 05:22 PM   #10
Tonedef131
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Fort Wayne
Posts: 1,906
Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

I would just use all wheat extract cause it is already like 60/40 with barley.

I will go against the current and say add your fruit to the primary. I make fruit beers often and ALWAYS get much better flavor and aroma by adding it to the primary. The yeast activity physically and chemically breaks down the fruit and extracts more out of it.

__________________
Tonedef131 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good Raspberry Wheat recipe cbird01 Recipes/Ingredients 14 12-04-2012 03:37 AM
My Cherry Wheat Extract Recipe, thoughts? longneck Recipes/Ingredients 2 05-13-2012 09:08 PM
Raspberry Wheat (extract) recipe check wwwdotcomdotnet Recipes/Ingredients 10 07-26-2010 03:23 PM
Raspberry Wheat Recipe (Feedback Please) drevilz4l Recipes/Ingredients 14 08-11-2008 01:51 PM