The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Rasberry wheat changed to Blackberry wheat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2010, 05:07 PM   #21
Tlylebrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

That is my hope, but it really is red. I've made two different fruit beers prior, both with extract, and while the fruit definately mellowed with age, I question this one.

With the others it still tasted like beer, just the fruit was a bit stronger then I liked. This one I can only taste fruit, and the fact it looks like koolaide doesn't help it either.

But as I said before I will wait till it carbs up to reserve complete judgement.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2010, 05:11 PM   #22
Tlylebrew
Recipes 

Update: After force carbing and letting it sit for a few days, I took a growler too a party to try it out. It still looks like wine, and the head looks like Pepto-bismol in color.

The taste is strong berry flavor, with barely a hint of beer on the end. Some sourness at the end too. I will say everyone who tried it at the party liked it, but it is really not my cup of tea, or beer for that matter. Next year when the blackberries come in I will probably do it again, but probably with a half pound of fruit per gallon and only let it sit on the fruit for seven days. We will see how that turns out.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:45 PM   #23
Grasslands
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just an update on the below batch. I pulled a sample today and it dropped down from 1.018 to 1.014 in a matter of 4 1/2 days. No blowoff necessary for secondary fermentation, but there's still a thin layer of krauzen on top. Sample tasted great - not overpowering with the blueberry flavor. I'm still planning on kegging this sucker on Thursday - so I'm sampling each day to see if she's ready.

I tell ya, if you want to do a beer with fruit, blueberry may be the best fruit to use - the taste is so subtle and the puree I used wasn't completely loaded in sugar. Also, if you're not looking for a sour-beer, you won't really get it with blueberry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasslands View Post
I just racked onto 3 lbs of blueberry puree I got from the LHBS last night. Prior to, the primary fermentation phase had stalled at 1.018 after an OG of 1.053. So it's currently sitting right around where I was hoping at 4.6% ABV (this is for the SWMBO) and the sample tasted great even without the blueberry additive.

When I woke this morning and checked on the secondary fermentation, a fresh layer of krauzen was starting to form. I don't know what to expect - so I left just a standard airlock on it...I'll be checking at lunch to see if I need a blowoff, but I don't think that'll be necessary. I'll keep you guys up to date.

As an FYI, here's the ingredients I used/brewing instructions:

7 lbs Wheat LME
1/2 lb Carapils, 1/2 lb Carahell (crystal 10) at 150 for 30 mins
.5 oz 8.9% Northern Brewer @ 35 min
.5 oz 8.9% Northern Brewer @ 5 min
WLP008 East Coast Ale yeast
Primary at 65 for 15 days
Secondary on top of 3lbs blueberry puree for 7 days

For aesthetic purposes, I'm planning on serving the SWMBO her first pour with 10-15 blueberries at the bottom of the glass.

GrassLands Brewery

Old 07-20-2010, 02:21 PM   #24
HalfPint
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hey Tlyle, what yeast did you use?

Old 07-20-2010, 03:26 PM   #25
Tlylebrew
Recipes 

I used Safale US-05. For the record it was a good tasting wheat from the hydro sample I tasted.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:00 PM   #26
Tlylebrew
Recipes 

Figure I would post the recipe for the wheat I made.. I would give credit, but can't remember where I found it, very possible on these same forums.

Three changes I made, were the Safale US-05, I did not add the irish moss, because in my opinion wheats should be cloudy, and I used real blackberries instead of raspberry extract.

9 oz. 40L Crystal Malt
3.75 lb. M&F Extra Light DME
1 lb. M&F Wheat DME
4 oz Malto Dextrin
¼ oz Northern Brewer (10%AA) (bittering)
1 oz Fuggles (Flavor)
1tsp. Irish Moss
½ oz Fuggles (Aroma)
Wyeast 1028 London Ale / 1056 American Ale
4 oz natural clear Raspberry Flavoring (clear maintains straw color)

Old 07-21-2010, 03:28 PM   #27
Grasslands
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The blueberry wheat update:

She's been hovering around 1.014 for a few days now - I'm giving her until tomorrow night and then I'm kegging. The sample tastes awesome - something completely different than what I've brewed in the past.

GrassLands Brewery

Last edited by Grasslands; 07-21-2010 at 03:31 PM.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:39 AM   #28
Tlylebrew
Recipes 

The strange thing I ecountered is that my FG was lower before I added the fruit. Must be all the sugars in the fruit did not ferment. My FG before fruit was 1.010, it ended up 1.012 after the fruit.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:44 AM   #29
Grasslands
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

That is odd. Mine dropped 4 points after I added the blueberry puree. When did you rack to secondary? I did mine after 10 days and I made sure I got at least a little bit of the yeast slurry at the bottom into the secondary just in case there wasn't all that much in suspension.

GrassLands Brewery

Old 07-22-2010, 02:46 AM   #30
Tlylebrew
Recipes 

It sat on the fruit for exactly 10 days. It definately restarted fermentation, but my guess is it either didn't ferment all the sugar, or the fact that the fruit added color, body, etc. . upped the gravity, but I really have no idea I am just guessing. Either that or my first reading was incorrect.

Quick Reply