Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Rasberry wheat changed to Blackberry wheat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2010, 08:31 PM   #11
Grasslands
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I had considered doing this with my wheat I just brewed...considering I picked about a pound of blackberries while on a trip to the TN mountains over the holiday weekend. I have a wheat batch 4 1/2 days into its primary fermentation. Initially I planned on making a blueberry wheat for the SWMBO - who got hooked on Sebago Brewery's (Portland, ME) Blueberry beer 2 months ago.

I'm still probably going to purchase 3# of blueberry puree from the LHBS and rack directly onto it this coming Sunday.

GrassLands Brewery

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2010, 02:32 PM   #12
Tlylebrew
Recipes 

Cool let us know how it turns out. I'll be posting some taste test results once I get it out of secondary and into a keg..

Old 07-07-2010, 03:14 PM   #13
FromZwolle
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

i'd love to hear how this turns out. i think i have about a week left before my blackberry source starts up.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:25 PM   #14
Grasslands
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'll definitely let you guys know - though I've been told that the secondary fermentation should last anywhere between 12-14 days. Then it'll be close to 2 1/2 weeks in the keg before it'll be ready to go.

To quote Inigo Montoya: "I hate waiting."

Though it will be nice to have a decent wheat beer to enjoy in the heat of August in Tallahassee, FL

GrassLands Brewery

Old 07-07-2010, 07:30 PM   #15
HalfPint
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hey, one of my next brews will also be a blackberry wheat. Here is a recipe that another forum member and I have been discussing http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f75/blac...weizen-180422/, and here is a thread where I was discussing my recipe http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/frui...s-help-183639/. Looking forward to seeing how yours runs out!

Old 07-15-2010, 09:18 PM   #16
Tlylebrew
Recipes 

Well after 10 days I racked it too a keg and sampled a little bit. The Fruit is way overpowering. When I was racking it, it looked like I was giving someone a blood transfussion it was so red.
I think I basically made a winecooler. The SWMBO loved it. So either way I know it will get drank. I am going to reserve judgement until it is carbed up. That should be in a week or two. I'll report back.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:20 PM   #17
Tlylebrew
Recipes 

I think if I do this again I will go about 2.5# of fruit, and only have it in secondary for seven days instead of 10.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:16 AM   #18
doctorRobert
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Thanks for the update!

Yo, What's Wrong With The Beer We Got? I Mean the Beer we got drank pretty Good Don't It? I Ain't Never Heard nobody complain about the beer we have..... It Drank Pretty Good. Budweiser...What's the name of some of them other beers ?

Old 07-16-2010, 01:49 PM   #19
Grasslands
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I just racked onto 3 lbs of blueberry puree I got from the LHBS last night. Prior to, the primary fermentation phase had stalled at 1.018 after an OG of 1.053. So it's currently sitting right around where I was hoping at 4.6% ABV (this is for the SWMBO) and the sample tasted great even without the blueberry additive.

When I woke this morning and checked on the secondary fermentation, a fresh layer of krauzen was starting to form. I don't know what to expect - so I left just a standard airlock on it...I'll be checking at lunch to see if I need a blowoff, but I don't think that'll be necessary. I'll keep you guys up to date.

As an FYI, here's the ingredients I used/brewing instructions:

7 lbs Wheat LME
1/2 lb Carapils, 1/2 lb Carahell (crystal 10) at 150 for 30 mins
.5 oz 8.9% Northern Brewer @ 35 min
.5 oz 8.9% Northern Brewer @ 5 min
WLP008 East Coast Ale yeast
Primary at 65 for 15 days
Secondary on top of 3lbs blueberry puree for 7 days

For aesthetic purposes, I'm planning on serving the SWMBO her first pour with 10-15 blueberries at the bottom of the glass.

GrassLands Brewery

Old 07-16-2010, 04:10 PM   #20
leavitt87
Recipes 

When I made my blueberry blonde I bottled it and didn't actually get around to drinking it for a few months. The blueberry flavor was a lot stronger at bottling time than when I actually drank it from the bottle. Maybe if you give it some time in the keg the flavor will settle a little.

Quick Reply