Hello - I'm going to brew a red this weekend. Got the recipe out of the "clone recipes for US Beers" book, and I plan to do the all extract alternate method. New at this and having a hard time deciphering the all-extract recipe instructions.
Base recipe says:
1) Heat 2 gal. water to 164
2) Crush grains, then add to liquor and steep at 152 for 90 minutes. Sparge with 2 3/4 gal. water at 168.
3) Add to runnings: 2 lb pale DME
4) Bring to a boil, then add hops..............etc.
All extract alternate method says:
1) Steep grains in 2 1/2 gal water at 150 for 45 minutes.
2) Increase DME to 4 lb DME
3) Follow instructions from beginning of boil
Here's where I need help.
a) Do I just skip step 2 in the base recipe (steep at 152 for 90 min., sparge with 2 3/4 gal. water at 168)? Alternate method does not indicate to do it (but doesn't say not to).
b) Is the total DME required for the recipe 4 lbs (variation says increase DME TO 4 lbs, so that's how I'm reading it...........4lbs total, not 4 +2 = 6lbs)
I'm relatively new at this and don't want to screw it up. If anyone has this recipe book (recipe is on page 130)or has done this one and can comment, I would really appreciate it.