Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > a quiestion on aging

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2007, 10:25 PM   #1
havanowoncheese
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default a quiestion on aging

Right now i have an irish red conditioning and its been 6 days now. I knopw you only need to wait 10 days give or take for adequate carbonation but is letting age longer in my best interest. I know with some styles it is suggested to let it age longer. My main question is it really mroe dependent on the style or is it ideal for all styles?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2007, 10:33 PM   #2
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

While it will be carbonated and drinkable after 10 days(many people give it 3 weeks to carb) it will still be very green. The longer you let it age the more the flavors will mellow out and the better the beer will be. This goes for pretty much all styles, some bigger beers even require months of aging. For your beer, give it at least 2 weeks to carb, drink some and put some away Compare what it tastes like know to what it tatstes like 3-4 months down the road, I'm willing to bet you'll be impressed with the difference.

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-04-2007, 10:36 PM   #3
havanowoncheese
Recipes 

I will give that a try.

Old 06-04-2007, 10:52 PM   #4
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 613 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 231

What temp are you storing the bottles?

Don't be surprised if 10 days yields no carbonation. I had batches (back when I bottled) that would go from hopelessly flat at 14 days to perfectly carb'd at 20 days.

Old 06-05-2007, 05:03 PM   #5
mizzoueng
Recipes 

My first brew, Irish red, aged for 4 weeks before I was willing to give out samples. It tasted a hell of a lot better than at the 2 week mark. I have stuffed a few into my beer fridge, which have been i there since March 1st. Homebrews just get so much better with age.

Primary 1: Empty
Primary 2: Empty
Primary 3: Empty
Secondary 1: Empty
Secondary 2: Empty
Conditioning: Tradition IPA, Sweet Mead, Strawberry Melomel, and Raspberry Melomel
Drinking: MW Irish Red Ale, Lawnmower de Saison
Planning: Maple Syrup Mead

Quick Reply