Yep that's what I did. Brought it up to a boil, turned the flame off, poured the DME into a steel bowl, stirred well while pouring a little DME in at a time, once all clumps dissolved turned flame back on and brought back to boil. That bowl idea worked like a charm. I just submerged the bowl after I got done pouring all the DME and rinsed it off too, scraping with the stirring spoon. Thanks so much guys for the quick responses and the helpful tips!
While siphoning from the kettle to the carboy (using the carboy cap with L-bracket hose setup and sucking on the second output of the carboy cap to create suction to start the siphon method), wouldn't you know it but a mosquito found its way through the air hole in the carboy cap and into the foam on top of the newly-siphoned wort.
Ended up sticking a sanitized broom handle in to push the wort out the top thus getting all the foam out (and surely the mosquito), but I can't help but wonder how much contamination it spread inside there while it was there. Gotta keep telling myself RDWHAHB. RDWHAHB. RDWHAHB.