Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Question on Yeast Subsitution

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2010, 10:22 PM   #1
beerlackey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Question on Yeast Subsitution

At this point in my homebrewing, I can only ferment in the house which is approx 65 dregrees, so this limits me to ales. However, I would like to brew an Octoberfest kit which is a lager and requires lower temps than I can provide. Can I substitute the Wyeast 2112 - California Lager or Wyeast 2565 Kolsch both of which will work in my temp range? Will this completely change the charactor of the beer? Has anyone tried it? Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2010, 10:40 PM   #2
meddin
Recipes 

I would probably use the California Common yeast of over the Kolsch, as I think you would get a maltier profile. Probably closer to what you intend.

Primary 1 - Engish Mild Ale
Primary 2 - Three Dog Pilsner
Secondary - Empty
Keg 1 - English ESB
Keg 2 - Scottish 70-/
Keg 3 - Commercial EPA

Old 03-03-2010, 10:43 PM   #3
Catch-22
Recipes 

Without trying it, if it were me I would try this one. Taken from the Whitelabs website.

WLP060 American Ale Yeast Blend
Our most popular yeast strain is WLP001, California Ale Yeast. This blend celebrates the strengths of California- clean, neutral fermentation, versatile usage, and adds two other strains that belong to the same 'clean/neutral' flavor category. The additional strains create complexity to the finished beer. This blend tastes more lager like than WLP001. Hop flavors and bitterness are accentuated, but not to the extreme of California. Slight sulfur will be produced during fermentation.

Dwight Schrute: In an ideal world I would have all ten fingers on my left hand so my right hand could just be a fist for punching.

Tags
oktoberfest, yeast

Quick Reply