Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Question on Vienna Malt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2010, 02:36 AM   #1
Tlylebrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Question on Vienna Malt

Maybe I should be posting this in the all grain section, but because I am going to use extract to duplicate this I posted it here.....

I have a Two-Hearted Ale clone that calls for 2# of Vienna Malt. My question is two fold:

1. Is there an extract I can substitute for the Vienna Malt?

2. My thought is No on question one, so because of this do I need to do a partial mash with the Vienna Malt?

Sorry for my Newbie'ness, but I am still learning. :-)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2010, 02:37 AM   #2
Tlylebrew
Recipes 

Decided I should post the whole recipe... Goose1873 originally posted this in a thread, figured I should give him credit:

All Grain Recipe - Bells Two Hearted IPA ::: 1.064/1.012 (5.5 Gal)
Grain Bill (75% Efficiency assumed)

10 lbs. - 2 Row Pale Malt
2 lb. - Vienna Malt
1/2 lb. - Caramel/Crystal Malt (15L)
1/2 lb. - CaraPils

Hop Schedule (47 IBU)

1/2 oz. - Centennial (60 min.)
1/2 oz. - Centennial (45 min.)
1/2 oz. - Centennial (30 min.)
1/2 oz. - Centennial (15 min.)
1/2 oz. - Centennial (flameout)
1 oz. - Centennial (Dry Hop)
*optional*
If you like a bit more hop, use 1/2 oz of Centennial as a First Wort Hop addition

Yeast

Wyeast American Ale II Yeast (#1272) - 1800 ml starter

Mash/Sparge/Boil

Mash at 153° for 60 min.
Sparge as usual
Cool and ferment at 65° to 68°

Old 03-26-2010, 02:56 AM   #3
DirtyPolock
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I recently brewed an extract version of EdWorts Haus Pale ale which called for Vienna Malt. To substitute the Vienna malt you should be able to use Munich Malt Extract from Austin Homebrew which is mentioned in the Haus Pale Ale thread.

Primary #1: Cascade/Willamette APA
Primary #2: Air
Secondary #1: Belgian Dark Strong

Tap #1: Dubbel Red Balls
Tap #2: Honey Brown Ale
Tap #3: BierMuncher's Outer Limits IPA
Tap #4: Penn Dark Clone 1.0

Conditioning in Kegs: Pollinated porter

Bottled/Drinking: AHS Old School IPA; Apfelwein 1/22/10

Not just any keezer build...It's my keezer build | Don't fear the StarSan Foam, a math explanation

Old 03-26-2010, 12:48 PM   #4
Neonsilver
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyPolock View Post
I recently brewed an extract version of EdWorts Haus Pale ale which called for Vienna Malt. To substitute the Vienna malt you should be able to use Munich Malt Extract from Austin Homebrew which is mentioned in the Haus Pale Ale thread.
Munich is darker though so you may want to sub for less and add a little extra light DME to get to your gravity.

On deck - AAA x2, Irish red
Primary - Baltic porter, IIPA, Mild, ESB, Milk stout, Scottish 80
Secondary - American Barleywine
Bottled - Gingerbread ale, IPA, Brown porter, RIS, Better than dead x2, APA x2, Kolsch

Old 03-26-2010, 02:32 PM   #5
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If you're already steeping the crystal malts, I say just add the vienna malt and turn it into a partial mash. It's pretty much the same, but now you just gotta hold it for 60mins instead of 30.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:42 PM   #6
Tlylebrew
Recipes 

But I would also need to sparge, is that not correct? I usually steep with all 6.5 gallons, do I need to cut this back and use 1/2 gallons for each pound of grain?

So much still to learn.. I probably won't brew this till next weekend, so I have time for replies.

Thanks,

Ty

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcp27 View Post
If you're already steeping the crystal malts, I say just add the vienna malt and turn it into a partial mash. It's pretty much the same, but now you just gotta hold it for 60mins instead of 30.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:04 PM   #7
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlylebrew View Post
But I would also need to sparge, is that not correct? I usually steep with all 6.5 gallons, do I need to cut this back and use 1/2 gallons for each pound of grain?

So much still to learn.. I probably won't brew this till next weekend, so I have time for replies.

Thanks,

Ty
Forgot about that part. Ya you'll probably have to cut it down, and normally you'd have to sparge but the bulk of your gravity is coming from your extract so you can take the hit in efficiency if you don't feel like it. Since its only 3lbs grains, you could use a smaller pot and mash in 1gallon for 60mins and start heating up the rest of your water in your pot, then once your mash is done just add it to the rest. If you want to sparge, an easy way would be to heat the bulk water no higher than 170F, and dunk the grain bag into it after the mash.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:47 PM   #8
hal2814
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlylebrew View Post

Thanks,

Ty
Not really. You're only looking at 2lbs. It's not the end of the world if you lose 10% or so efficiency by not sparging. Just use a really big bag and be more careful about your temps. I'd go in the higher mash range so you'll keep as much Vienna flavor as possible, but that's just me.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:15 PM   #9
Frodo
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcp27 View Post
Forgot about that part. Ya you'll probably have to cut it down, and normally you'd have to sparge but the bulk of your gravity is coming from your extract so you can take the hit in efficiency if you don't feel like it. Since its only 3lbs grains, you could use a smaller pot and mash in 1gallon for 60mins and start heating up the rest of your water in your pot, then once your mash is done just add it to the rest. If you want to sparge, an easy way would be to heat the bulk water no higher than 170F, and dunk the grain bag into it after the mash.
+1 on mashing the grains in a smaller pot with about a gallon of water for 60 min at 154F, heating the remainder of your boil water in your brew kettle during that time, then dunking the grain bag in that when it's at 170F using the "tea bag" maneuver. Then just add the wort from the smaller pot to the boil kettle.

Old 03-27-2010, 03:22 AM   #10
manticle
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

When I used to steep grains I still sparged. Easy enough - just rinse your grains with more hot water, let sit then drain again.

Quick Reply